Menu

Delete in Mail.app but won't delete onHotmail

Help
davekes
2007-05-21
2013-04-17
  • davekes

davekes - 2007-05-21

I've just installed the httpmail plug-in and it is downloading my messages no problem.  Unfortunately when I delete messages in mail.app and empty the trash bin as it suggests in the FAQ guide the messages are not deleted on the hotmail server.

Anyone got a fix for this??

Thanks

• Casemon

Casemon - 2007-11-18

Seeing this too. Each time I restart mail, all the mail i thought i had deleted from hotmail come back into Mail.app.

• Casemon

Casemon - 2007-11-24

Anyone else seeing this? Is there a fix?

• Ergolad

Ergolad - 2007-12-10

Same issue for me. Have tried following FAQ guidelines saying “Mark downloaded emails as read” selected in preference>advanced, as well as a suggestion I read elsewhere to "synchronize the server." No joy on either front. Could use suggestions.

• Douglas King

Douglas King - 2007-12-29

To make delete (and read/unread) work, set the following in the account preferences:

Mailbox Behaviors tab:
      Trash
      -uncheck "Store deleted messages on server"

Advanced Tab:
      Keep copies of messages for offline viewing:
      -All messages with their attachments
      -Synchronize with server

I'm not sure you need all these, but that's what I changed from default to get it going for me. 

Cheers!

~~Douglas

• Casemon

Casemon - 2008-01-21

I thought deleting was working then realized how huge my hotmail has become. Woops!

So I cam here, and I set my account settings to your suggestion and deleted both the junk and trash but all the hotmail slowly came back...

Anyone care to post screenshots of their exact settings for the account and for the plugin? Would be great to get this working once and for all (it used to work under Tiger)

• Casemon

Casemon - 2008-01-21

Looks like it's working here. In addition to the above, I deselected the following:

Mailbox Behaviors tab:
      Trash
      -unchecked "Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox"

Now, deleting the trash seems to move the trashed messages to the Hotmail trash folder for eventual deletion there.

Yah!