Menu

Edit Maps?

Help
Anonymous
2010-03-04
2013-04-08
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-03-04

Hey, I was wondering if there's a way to edit existing maps? Also is this project still under development or did you leave it?
    I would like to help develop it, thought of making it DB and AJAX based so users could save status on the server.. what u think?

• David Maletz

David Maletz - 2010-03-04

Hi Ben,

Yes, you can edit existing maps if you have the editable map js fie by pasting it into the textbox in the map editor and clicking load. If you have one of the compiled map js files (included in the archive), you can use the map recovery script which converts a compiled map back into an editable map, losing only the tileset information.

As for development, I actually recently started work on it again. I'm turning the project into a full web-based rpg maker, and we'll need an ajax developer to save and load projects to the server, and maybe add multiplayer functionality to the games. I made a post explaining the revision and asking for help here: http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/5694/ .

Right now, I'm cleaning up the HTMLTactics code, making it object oriented and modular so that we can easily swap in and out battle engines, menus, renderers and so on. The HTMLTactics code is kind of ugly, as it was my first large project in javascript, so it will be much better once I revise it. I also played around with jstree for creating a project tree viewer, which is easy to use and has a lot of nice features.

If you'd like to help out, feel free - there's pretty much no server side code right now for the rpg maker, so we'll need a lot of infrastructure done there, and then merging the client side code and the server side code with ajax.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-03-04

Ah well that sounds very interesting.. Yes I took a look at the code and I was a bit disappointed to see no object oriented, no js framework.. but still it works brilliantly - I actually sat and played the SOT for a couple of hours.. :D
    I also haven't seen a quests system and have been browsing through my mind on which to try  and implement..

Anyway I have a lot of experience with php/MySQL and some experience with HTML/JS/AJAX that I can bring into play.. let me know what you need written (if anything at all right now) and I'll see what I can do.

• David Maletz

David Maletz - 2010-03-04

Yea, the code was pretty ugly, and I'm finding myself rewriting large portions of it. It's a lot nicer and a lot more useable now. I'm hoping to have a finished object oriented rewrite of the code in a few weeks (pending on other projects), which is already so much better, making it easy to change the stats and their functions, the battle system, and even whether it is rendered via the DOM (like it is now) or a canvas element. After that I'll probably get started on different battle engines, the server side code, and the editor itself, but you can get started on any of that now if you'd like. Just pick up some part of the project that needs doing (and there's plenty that needs doing) that you would enjoy making and you feel you can do. Let me know if you have questions, or if you need a list of what needs to be done.