Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Additional requirements due to modifications?

Al.
2002-08-27
2014-03-06
  • Al.
    Al.
    2002-08-27

Hi all,
    I've made some minor changes to v1.7.0 source code regarding bug #594572 (ClassCastException in preparedStatement).

If I want to distribute a commercial product that uses this modified version, Is there any additional licensing requirement other than

1. including the line : 'This product includes Hypersonic SQL.' and
    2. including the attached license file hypersonic_lic.txt somewhere in the distribution?

Please kindly enlighten me,
    Many thanks!
    Al

• Not to my knowlege.

That sounds about right.

M. Cannon, Fred, or Thomas may have more to say on the matter, but I think the licence is pretty straight forward.

I think if you read it carfully, though it says:

Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
      * this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
      * and/or other materials provided with the distribution, including earlier
      * license statements (above) and comply with all above license conditions.

So, I think this implies that at least a link to the attached licence file is supposed to go in any online docs/promotional material as well.

If you're unsure on some detail, probably drop Thomas a line directly.  None of us are lawyers, but most of us are reasonable... ;-)

There was already a thread on this issue, re: Redbase.  It was found that there was only the mention of "this product..." on the download form and not in the distribution, nor was the rest of the licence reproduced in whole or part on the site in with the trial download.  What they basically did was put a small "legal" link at the bottom of each page, the legal page then linking to the license/mention of "This product..."  I think that was acceptable to Thomas, as I haven't heard anything about it since.  but it did cause us to repackage our licence as a two part deal, with the Hypersonic coming before the HSQLDB in all original files, with just the HSQLDB in new files.

Cheers,
      Campbell

Last edit: Fred Toussi 2014-03-06