• TomK

TomK - 2014-02-28

Consider the following code:

Statement stmt = con.createStatement();
    stmt.executeUpdate("create table foo (id integer not null)");

ResultSet rs = con.getMetaData().getTablePrivileges(null, null, "FOO");
    while (rs.next())
    {
      System.out.println(rs.getString("PRIVILEGE") + " to " + rs.getString("GRANTEE"));
    }

The output is:

SELECT to DBA
    INSERT to DBA
    UPDATE to DBA
    DELETE to DBA
    REFERENCES to DBA
    TRIGGER to DBA

Note that I never granted anything for that table, nevertheless grants are returned.

If this information is used to re-generate needed GRANTs for a table the SQL will fail for two reasons:

1. granting a privilege to the role DBA generates an error:

grant select on foo to dba;
      --> invalid authorization specification - system identifier: DBA in statement [grant select on foo to dba]

2. Apparently the TRIGGER privilege is not recognized

grant trigger on foo to dba;
      --> invalid authorization specification - system identifier: DBA in statement [grant select on foo to dba]

Am I missing something in the syntax, or is the information returned by getTablePrivileges() incorrect?

When looking into INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLE_PRIVILEGES I see all those privileges and the GRANTOR for them is _SYSTEM so maybe getTablePrivileges() should not return them as they seem to be some internal default grants.

• Fred Toussi

Fred Toussi - 2014-02-28

Thomas, these privileges are granted by _SYSTEM to the DBA role, which is a system role. The points 1 and 2 are not strange as the DBA is not a role you have created or one you can drop. This information is needed for you to figure out which privileges the DBA role has.

• TomK

TomK - 2014-03-01

Thanks for the quick answer.

I just realized I pasted the wrong code for 2)

grant trigger on foo to dba;

results in: unexpected token: TRIGGER [SQL State=42581, DB Errorcode=-5581]

This information is needed for you to figure out which privileges the DBA role has.

Hmm, but if I'm logged in as SA, then why can I not grant those privileges to DBA? How would I ever be able to use that information? As these grants only seem to be usable "internally", I'm not sure it makes sense to return them to the end user.

• Fred Toussi

Fred Toussi - 2014-03-02

You cannot grant anything to DBA because all SA's privileges come from the DBA role that it has. SA can grant the DBA role, but not change it.

I don't know how you would want to use the information. It is up to you.

As for GRANT TRIGGER, it is a privilege that has been granted by _SYSTEM to the DBA role but cannot be granted at all to any other role. Hence the error message.

• TomK

TomK - 2014-03-03

I'm using this information in SQL Workbench/J to reconstruct the complete SQL for a table.

If I understand you correctly, I can safely ignore anything where _SYSTEM is the grantor, right? Or even anything that is granted to DBA?

• Fred Toussi

Fred Toussi - 2014-03-03

Yes, you can ignore these grants. You are interested in grants to roles other than DBA and in grants to users.