UNIX_TIMESTAMP with milliseconds

Help
Anonymous
2012-12-03
2014-01-19

• Anonymous
    2012-12-03

Hello,

Working with Java Date or Joda DateTime requires dealing with milliseconds. I can save and load date in milliseconds using a BIGINT field, and this is ok.

But when I need to work with such fields using SQL, there is a problem.

If I use:          field = UNIX_TIMESTAMP(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP)

I get (correctly) the seconds from 1970.

Is there an option to get milliseconds, or in general, how can I do to set a field (BIGINT) to the current milliseconds from 1970, to be compliant with Java ? Of course, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP)*1000 is NOT a solutions, as precision is at second.

Basically I need to obtain a BIGINT value of milliseconds of CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.

Best,
    -A

• Fred Toussi
    Fred Toussi
    2012-12-03

The UNIX_TIMESTAMP function is compatible with the MySQL function of the same name, and returns a bigint

We may add a new function to return fractional values.

In the meantime, write your own Java function to convert a timestamp to its millisecond value and use CREATE FUNCTION UNIX_MILLISECOND(TIMESTAMP TS) RETURNS BIGINT LANGUAGE JAVA … etc  EXTERNAL NAME 'your static java method fully qualified name'. See the Guide on SQL Invoked Routines

• Anonymous
    2012-12-03

Thanks fredt.

Please add UNIX_MILLISECOND(TIMESTAMP TS), this is 110% useful to interact with Java Data milliseconds precision.

In meantime, I've just defined this function to emulate UNIX_MILLISECOND(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP):

CREATE FUNCTION getCurrentTimeMillis() RETURNS BIGINT
      LANGUAGE JAVA DETERMINISTIC NO SQL
      EXTERNAL NAME 'CLASSPATH:java.lang.System.currentTimeMillis'

Is this function solid as UNIX_MILLISECOND(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) or not? Any problem I can get ?

• Anonymous
    2012-12-03

Basically I was not able to determine if I've to use DETERMINISTIC or NOT. I want to return the JVM currentTimeMillis as is, updated at function call time.

I've to perform CREATE FUNCTION for every database running on a hsqldb server, or it is server-specific ? Sorry, but I was not able to find this info (i.e. how to list all custom defined functions, etc.. This should help a lot of people)

Thanks again.

• Fred Toussi
    Fred Toussi
    2012-12-03

Your function is absolutely fine. It is NOT DETERMINISTIC because it will return different values if you call it several times.

With CREATE FUNCTION, you get a function in the current schema of the current database. Therefore you have to define it for each database.

Use a SELECT from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES view to list the user-defined routines.

• Fred Toussi
    Fred Toussi
    2012-12-03

It is easy to write the Java function with a param . It goes like

public static long timeMillis(Timestamp ts) {
    return ts.getTime();
    }

• Anonymous
    2012-12-03

Thank you for your feedback!

Very useful.

I hope UNIX_MILLISECOND will be added in next release as built-in function.

Best,
    -A