Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

4300c + 2.6.0 kernel

Help!
2004-10-06
2013-04-09
  • Joop Verdoorn
    Joop Verdoorn
    2004-10-06

Ullrich,
    I've changed the "len" part two times in message.c but I still get errors like described in the Help-forum before:

Oct  6 21:50:23 linux kernel: usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using address 2
    Oct  6 21:50:28 linux kernel: usb 2-2: control timeout on ep0in
    Oct  6 21:50:33 linux kernel: usb 2-2: control timeout on ep0in
    Oct  6 21:50:33 linux kernel: usb 2-2: can't set config #1, error -71
    Oct  6 21:50:33 linux kernel: usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using address 3
    Oct  6 21:50:38 linux /etc/hotplug/usb.agent[5099]: cat: /sys//devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.1/usb2/2-2/bNumConfigurations: No such file or directory
    Oct  6 21:50:38 linux /etc/hotplug/usb.agent[5099]: /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: line 100: [: too many arguments

Testtool says:
    No LibUSB niash-scanner devices found
    NiashXferOpen failed for ''
    NiashOpen failed

I am using Suse 9.1 with kernel 2.6.5-7.104-default.
    Is it inevitable to upgrade to 2.6.8 or higher, or could something else be wrong?

Joop

• Hi Joop,

I have had exactly this kernel at home.

I installed the kernel+source (as I assume you did), but I only changed one statement.
    The description above is a bit rough so look for the line

len=tbuf[0];

and change it to

len=tbuf[0]=255;

maybe the 2nd change, which you did, spoiled your system.

just as a reminder:
    after a

> make cloneconfig
    > make
    > make modules_install

you must copy the files
    "bzImage"
    and
    "SystemMap"
    with the according renaming to the
    "/boot"
    directory ?

call
    > mkinitrd
    and change "/boot/grub/menu.lst" or "/etc/lilo.conf "accordingly

Perhaps these are silly annotations for you, but I just want to make sure.

So please reinstall the sources or undo your first changes and make the change as I described it in this post here.

I hope that helps

Ullrich

• Joop Verdoorn
      Joop Verdoorn
      2004-10-11

Ullrich,
      Thanks for helping me on this! Compiling with your suggested change did help, as I can see my scanner now in the Yast2 Hardware info. Testtool now also indicates that the scanner is there:

ERROR: usb_claim_interface failed
      NiashXferOpen failed for 'libusb(002,003)'
      NiashOpen failed

The error is because of a rights-problem; I can use xsane  as root now (looks easier to tackle than the first problem).

Thanks again!
      Joop

• Joop Verdoorn
    Joop Verdoorn
    2004-10-11

PS:
    chmod 666 /proc/bus/usb/001/00*
    did the thing; I can use my scanner now as a normal user

• Bertrik Sikken
      Bertrik Sikken
      2004-10-11

AFAIK, sane-backends has a hotplug script (and related files) in tools/hotplug that you can use to automatically adjust the permission for the scanner when you plug it in. This is ultimately simpler, since you don't need to specify exact path to the /proc/bus/usb files.

• Yes, I've tried the hotplug-way, visited the appropriate website, but found it to difficult. I 'll just use the work-around and wait when the whole niash-backend is included in a Suse-distribution.
        Joop