Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

MICROSOFT KILLING WEBDAV

Help
Sam
2004-09-29
2013-04-08
  • Sam
    Sam
    2004-09-29

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1652391,00.asp

What a great ride it's been... anyone know if gmail is webdav (or similarly) enabled??

I dunno about you all but Microsoft is losing my eyeballs more and more everyday. I WILL not put up with advertising on my free email when I can get roaming webmail access with just about any decent ISP.

• chris coleman
      chris coleman
      2004-09-29

I also heard about MS allowing WebDAV ONLY for paying hotmail subscribers (WTF !!!).

Is it possible to code an HTML stream-reading adapter for hotwayd / hotsmtpd ... that way, continue to have access to hotmail.

The hotwayd code act as if it was a browser. Impossible to tell the difference.

Make sense ??

• hennewou
      hennewou
      2004-10-02

I haven't tried it, but I think 'gotmail' acts like a browser.

• Simon Roby
      Simon Roby
      2004-10-06

hotwayd still works wonderfully for me... when exactly are they supposed to kill their WebDAV support? The article says 'Monday', but it's past Monday now, and hotwayd still happily does its job, heh.

• Brad Schick
        Brad Schick
        2004-10-08

Well if you read the article, you will find this:

"But as of Monday, news users wanting to make use of WebDAV will have to pay for the service, said Brooke Richardson, product manager for MSN's communications services. MSN plans to transition current WebDAV users to subscription plans in the next few months as well."

• Simon Roby
          Simon Roby
          2004-10-12

Ah, so we have some unknown amount of time left.

Oh well, gives me plenty of time to check out alternatives to Hotmail.

• John Fruetel
      John Fruetel
      2004-10-06

Gotmail screen scrapes hotmail and won't be affected by the WebDav changes.  However, anytime M$ changes the layout of the website, gotmail goes down in flames for a few days until gotmail gets revised.

I'm the maintainer of gotmail and I'm interested in merging gotmail with hotwayd if you guys would like hotwayd to keep working when M$ drops free WebDAV support.

Since in it's basic form, gotmail will download your hotmail inbox into a file, I don't think it would be hard to go to the next step and offer POP3 services for the messages in that file.

If anybody thinks it's an interesting idea, drop me a line at jfruetel@hotmail.com.

• Simon Roby
      Simon Roby
      2004-10-17

Damn, they've dropped free webdav for good now. :( So long hotwayd...

• herbyweed
      herbyweed
      2004-11-26

so long hotwayd???

so, im trying to get hotmail with thunderbird, in linux.. I guess it is not possible with hotwayd.

gotmail for some reason will only download 1 msg at a time from hotmail.com,

any alternatives?? will hotwayd or gotmail work fine with safe-mail.net????

• uncledonald
      uncledonald
      2008-04-22

DAV was still running for many accounts. But MS has finally put the boot in, and will discontinue it on June 30 2008.

https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4920351

• Jesse
      Jesse
      2008-04-23

This totally sucks! What are we going to do if microsoft does this? Is there anyway to get around it or what?

• R.J.V. Bertin
      R.J.V. Bertin
      2008-05-05

http://blog.fastmail.fm/2008/04/22/microsoft-closing-external-hotmail-access-by-end-of-june-2008/

What I suggest everyone does is close their hotmail accounts. You've got a bit over a month left to transition to gmail, for instance (who now give pop3 AND imap4 access to their servers). I looked into setting up a forward on my hotmail account, but that can only be to another hotmail or live.com address.

Sorry, but it seems it's going to be thanks for all the fish, this time around!