Menu

Using HIPAA Talk to generate 837P, 837I

Sunny
2007-05-05
2013-04-24
  • Sunny

Sunny - 2007-05-05

Hello
    I am looking for a tool that generates 837P / 837I, and parses 997, and 835 file formats. It appears that this tool does all these things. I have the following questions:

1) Can the current version of HIPAA Talk do the above tasks? If so, is any one currently using this tool to generate 837P/837I and parse 997 and 835?

2) Will this tool work with MySQL database or works with only MS SQL 2000?

3) Does it use any template map files (XML based or other formats) to capture the and read the source info in order to generate a 837?

4) How much effort (hours or man days) is needed by an advanced user(who has the knowledge of DB, DTS,Java,etc) to setup this tool and start generating 837 files?

Thanks for all the help

Sunny

• HIPAATalk Admin

HIPAATalk Admin - 2007-05-07

Sunny,

1)  Yes, this version of HIPAATalk generates the 837P, 837I, and parses the 997 and 835.  I am using it to do all of those things.

2)  HIPAATalk is currently only compatible with Microsoft SQL 2000.

3)  No XML is involved.  The method of generating an 837 is via direct insert into the x12_837_claim_institutional and x12_837_claim_professional tables.

4)  Since each source database is different, it's hard to say how long it will take to start generating 837 files.  I would think that within an hour you should be able to have HIPAATalk installed, functional, and be able to parse X12 files.  The amount of time it takes to start generating 837s is dependent upon your knowledge of the 837 format, your SQL skills, and your source database.  With strong knowledge of the 837 format, you can probably create a map for the basics of the 837 within a day, with more complex scenarios within a week.

Download the sample script I've provided for the 277 legacy-to-HIPAATalk export to see how you can set up the structure for the 837.

I hope this gives you enough to go on.  Thanks for trying it out -- and please post your comments and suggestions for improvements to these forums.

Thanks,
      Chad