Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Commands not working on new THE build

Help
2009-08-08
2013-05-23
  • Duke Normandin
    Duke Normandin
    2009-08-08

Hello THE-o-users

I just got finished building THE from source on my OS X box.  It fires up, but making it behave as documented is something else again.  In truth, I've _never_ used a mainframe editor, or knock-off thereof, so I'm groping in the dark here. For example:

I need to get to the "prefix" area to change the numbering sequence for my COBOL noob test program. so I issue the command:

SOS prefix

but nothing happens. I'm still in the command line. The "help" file says that it should:

"move cursor to leftmost edge of prefix area"

What's up here? What am I missing?  TIA....
    --
    duke

• David Wade
      David Wade
      2009-08-08

SOS comnmands don't work from the command line, only from keys. I only use THE on windows and have "MOUSE ON" in my profile.the and that lets me click in the prefix area.

• Duke Normandin
        Duke Normandin
        2009-08-08

How are SOS commands issued from the filearea? Do you mean via Control & Func keys? (they just show up as SOS stuff in the command line?)

I take it that the profike,the file would go into my $HOME directory? What is the syntax for stuff that goes in there? What commands available? TIA...
        --
        duke

• LesK
      LesK
      2009-08-09

If you've never used a mainframe editor, then read this:
      http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/HCSD9A00/CCONTENTS?DT=19950908201341

Then read the THE.pdf you installed with THE. Appendix 6 is THE By Task. A quick summary of commands: HELP command (Function key 1).

For your specific original question: You don't use the prefix area to renumber your source code. The prefix area can be made to show line numbers with: PREF ON LEFT from the command line.

• Duke Normandin
        Duke Normandin
        2009-08-10

Thanks for the URL and file names. I'm also thinking that I might have to re-map my OS X keyboard to emit the required commands. I'll try to setup a terminal especially for THE.