Welcome to Open Discussion

2010-09-28
2013-04-15
  • Welcome to Open Discussion

• ElliottCB
    ElliottCB
    2010-10-26

Deutsch oder englisch? Let's start with english.

The new version defaults to LDR and requires the "hdrModules" parameter to produce HDRs. What does LDR signify in this context? Merely that the output is 8 bits per channel? The pictures look about right to me.

Is there any conceivable way to group the files into panorama series so that they can be automatically passed to Hugin? I can't think of a way, but then I wouldn't have come up with HDRFF either. I have to do a lot of routine levels adjustment with my HDRs, trimming the curve to fit the whole dynamic range. Is this better done before or after stitching the pictures with Hugin? I'd guess it's best done afterwards so that Hugin has more play to smooth the stitches, but that would miss the opportunity to add levels adjustment on the end of HDRFF, which I would find very useful.

Very useful script; this saves me SO much work, and at the same time finally frees me from the-operating-system-that-shall-remain-nameless, which I needed to run Photomatix.

• ElliottCB
    ElliottCB
    2010-10-27

Belay that first question. I was fooled by the first couple of pictures I looked at with the new version of the script. I definitely need to use the "hdrModules" switch to get the results I want. Sorry.

• LDR is 8 or 16 bit images as opposed to the reald hdr-formats (typically 32 bit).

"hdrModules" is no parameter, it is a predefined list of modules. You can change the default by setting your MODULES-variable in your hdrff.conf file to hdrModules.

Hugin's GUI has a method to automatically load a series of images. I don't know the details, but Hugin examines the EXIF-data. I suppose it just examines the date-fields like the findGroup-module does, maybe with a more relaxed FUZZ-parameter.

BTW: Photomatix runs quite well under Linux and Wine (only some minor z-order problems).

Bernhard

• ElliottCB
    ElliottCB
    2010-10-28

Moin, Bernhard. Thanks for your response. I'm rather new to bash scripting, so my concerns may appear trivial, for which I apologise. I had a run this week in which a few groups were wrong due to erratic timing of the exposures. Ideally, I'd like to edit the text file to contain just the three lines listing the corrected groups of five files and re-generate the HDRs JUST for those files. Is there an easy way to do this? First time hdrff picked up all the original groups out of the "orig" directory and started the entire job again.

I tried using Photomatix with WINE when I first installed Linux. I'm informed that they do not have a Linux version planned. Perhaps I'll try it again with Ubuntu Maverick, but frankly your approach is superior. Once the settings are tweaked a bit I can switch on, hit Ctrl-F1, type in "hdrff" and go off down the Pöstli Bar for the night. I aspire to embody the "FF" in "HDRFF"…

Linux is great. This level of automation isn't to be found elsewhere.

Best wishes…
    Elliott

• ElliottCB
    ElliottCB
    2010-11-04

Hi, again. A couple of things I'd like to report:

1. A session I did recently produced 11.9 GB of files on a 16 GB card. Processing with HDRFF expands this on disk to about 100 GB, which fills my home partition and screws up some settings. I've changed the configuration to use an empty partition, but the first time I come back after a week's holiday I'm not going to have a disk big enough to do the run! It would be useful if the job could be broken up into batches and the unneeded files deleted in between. I'm working on writing the script code to do this, so maybe I'll be able to send you an example when I'm up to speed.

2. Due to erratic shooting, some of my groups come out wrong, including lines of 15 files instead of 3 lines of 5 files. A quick split-on-maximum would fix this. I'm working on that first.

On a point of terminology, "dynamic range" (dynamischer Umfang) is independent of colour depth. 16-bits per channel is not HDR, or the converse. Kodachrome, back in the days of steam-powered cameras, for instance, had a dynamic range of a couple of stops. You had to be very accurate with the exposure. Print film tended to have about 6 stops, and was more forgiving. Whether 16-bit colour, 8 bits per channel or 16, an HDR - at least to me - packs a higher dynamic range into the available colour depth. What you referred to as "LDR" means 32-bit colour, or 8 bits per channel. Hence my uncertainty.

Cheers…
    Elliott

• Hi,

I'll start a new topic "Some usage notes" and will close this "Welcome to Open Discussion"-topic.

Bernhard