No more automatic standby with new controller

Help
2009-01-26
2013-04-27
  • Malte Forkel
    Malte Forkel
    2009-01-26

Hi,

after switching to a new controller card, the attached disk is not set into standby mode anymore as configured in /etc/hdparm.conf.

I recently installed a Delock 89143 PCI Express to SATA II x2 and PATA Host Controller (http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/pci-express/PCI_Express_Controller_Karte_2x_SATA_1x_IDE_89143.html?setLanguage=EN) that is based on a JMicron JMB363 chip. Currently, there is only a single IDE disk drive connected to the controller. That drive is a Samsung SP1614N.

The PC is running Debian Etch with kernel 2.6.18 and hdparm 6.9. Due to an entry in /etc/hdparm.conf 'hdparm -S 60 /dev/hde', the drive should enter standby mode after 5 minutes of inactivity.

This setup worked flawlessly while the drive was connected to a Promise Ultra133 TX2. Since I replaced that controller by the Delock 89143, the drive does not automatically enter standby mode anymore. Instead, it stays in mode inactive/idle.

Executing 'hdparm -y /dev/hde' by hand successfully puts the drive into standby mode.

Any ideas what might be going on? Could it be that the drive's inactivity is not detected anymore?

Thanks in advance, Malte

• Malte Forkel
      Malte Forkel
      2009-02-07

Just for the record: The new controller had assigned the disk to a
      different device, /dev/hde instead of /dev/hdg. I updated various places
      accordingly, but forgot about /etc/default/hddtemp. So the hddtemp
      daemon prevented the disk from ever falling asleep. Stupid me.