Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

new -s switch

Help
posso20
2007-01-21
2013-04-27
  • posso20
    posso20
    2007-01-21

Hi !
    I switched my HD to power-up in standby mode by using the a.m. switch.
    Now I've trouble every time when I startup the computer because the HD
    isn't recognized. If I use the -s0 switch I get the message
    'HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(powerup_in_standby) failed: Input/output error'. How can I
    get back my HD to active on power-up. The HD is an Western Digital WD1600JS (SATA).

Thanks in advance for help

• keke
      keke
      2007-01-27

Hi

Im have the exact same problem, with my Hitachi 7k250 1650gb and 2x WD2500JD discs.

How do i spin them up again?

• keke
        keke
        2007-02-05

I fixed my Hitachi disk by setting the jumper on the power in standby mode. That way i could change the flag with hdparm. And remove the jumper again and it worked. But my Western Digital disc are not so willing.

• I have the very exact problem too!

I need to restore my HD, please help me!

I have a Toshiba laptop, how could I set the jumper on the power in standby mode?

The BIOS setup doesn't give any choice about the disk.

I enter to a linux console recuperation and I try to:

#hdparm -s 0 /dev/hda
      setting power-up in standby to 0 (off)
      HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(powerup_in_standby) failed: Inpu/outpu error

Meanwhile my laptop BIOS do not recognize the disk.

Thank you.

• keke
        keke
        2007-02-21

As far as i remember laptop harddrives doesn't have jumpers.
        So i don't think you can save your disc. Sorry.

• Hi,

In a deseperaly try I wrote to Mark Lord <mlord at pobox.com> the developer of 'hdparm' and he solve this problem by sending me a copy of 'hdparm' that has a patch made by him. With this copy of 'hdparm' you can do 'hdparm -s0 /dev/hda' and the problem is solved (I had to reboot and then again do 'hdparm -s0 /dev/hda' to make the change permanently).

All came to normaly.

I you like, I could send you this copy of 'hdparm' pached by Mark.

If the HD broken is the one who boot your system you most use a 'Recovery linux console' or a liveCD to enter to a linux console, then run the patched hdparm program.

Rgds,

• keke
        keke
        2007-02-24

Yes please. I would like to try that patch. I still have 2 western digital discs that doesn't work.
        chrklin at hotmail.com

• Sent!

• posso20
      posso20
      2007-02-24

good news finally! please send me this patched hdparm too. posso20@hotmail.com - thanks !

• Sent!

• Mark Lord
      Mark Lord
      2007-03-22

>As far as i remember laptop harddrives doesn't have jumpers.

Travelstar drives *do* have a standy pin.  Not a jumper, just one pin.

It is the top pin closest to the right-hand edge of the 44-pin connector.
      This pin has to be connected to ground to force the hardware version
      of "poweron-in-standby".

Cheers

• wow! thanks.

So this ping connected to ground is just when your travelstar is locked?

• Mark Lord
      Mark Lord
      2007-03-22

Okay, I have now created two bootable images that should cure this problem.

turn_off_poweron_in_standby.flp is a bootable floppy disc image, and
      turn_off_poweron_in_standby.iso is a bootable CDROM image.

Boot from either of these, and a custom kernel should find all of your drives and spin them up.  It will also try to do an automatic "hdparm -s0" using two different methods.

It works for me.

Cheers

Mark

• ub_
      ub_
      2007-06-22

Thanks Mark for turn_off_poweron_in_standby. I tried it after I had bricked my two Samsung disks with hdparm -s1.  Unfortunately, turn_off_poweron_in_standby seems dependent on the BIOS' capability to detect the drives, so it did not detect my two drives, but just reported "port failed to respond (Status 0x80)".

Svend Olaf Mikkelsen's "findpart" utility finally revived my disks.  It can be found here: http://www.partitionsupport.com/advancednotes.htm.  "Findpart" seems to ignore the BIOS and talk to the IDE channels directly, which worked like a charm even if the BIOS had not detected the standby drive in the first place.

Thanks,
      Ulf

• christophe34
      christophe34
      2007-10-20

Too bad for me : I misspelled -S 2 with -s 2 and blocked my Samsung HD400LD (was on a kurobox NAS). I tried both turn_off_poweron_in_standby + findpart on different hardware (VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333] + olde Intel PII based PC) , but no success. It seems that the disk is really dead now :-(((

Christophe

• Hi,

Mark Lord sent me a hacked version of hdparm that fixed my problem, if you like I could send it to by email.

rgds.

• ste_pb93
          ste_pb93
          2007-10-23

Thanks that would be great, could you email it to ste.pb93@gmail.com please ?

• casueps
      casueps
      2007-11-25

I have the same problem with a Western Digital WD2500JS. I can't do hdparm -s0 with that disk because it isn't recognized, and the /dev/sdb file doesn't exist.
      I tried the boot floppy and it works (I can hear it spinning up), but when it ends it says I have to reboot without powering off the machine, and I can't!! The box doesn't have a reset button and ctrl+alt+del doesn't work. Why don't they put reset buttons anymore??

I think you should change the boot floppy so that it reboots the machine when you press enter, in case the user doesn't have a reset button.

Could someone send me the patched version of hdparm? My address is casueps at hotmail.com

Thanks.

• Jaime Lima
      Jaime Lima
      2008-05-01

Hello,

I am another one in business of transforming HDs into bricks. The linux kernel 2.6.23 is able to spin and mount it (kernel version 2.0.22 spins it but doesn't create the /dev/sdX devices for it. kernel version 2.6.18 doesn't spin it, but works fine if someone spins it by other means before). I downloaded the latest version of haparam but the 'hdparm -s0' is failing. I've looked into the src code. Both calls driven by the parameters below are failing:
      #Line  hdparm.c
      #1292                         __u8 args1[4] = {ATA_OP_SETFEATURES,0,0x07,0}; /* spinup from standby */
      #1306                 args[2] = powerup_in_standby ? 0x06 : 0x86; /* {ATA_OP_SETFEATURES,0,0x86,0} when the parameter -s0 is passed */

After the driver is spinning, the BIOS seems to recognize it (it the hd is not spinning the BIOS  identifies that `something` exists on other side the SATA cable, but the drive same/geometry is not shown.

Any new ideas of how to solve this?