Menu

Hitpoint gains

Ideas
2004-01-25
2004-02-20
  • rick peplinski

rick peplinski - 2004-01-25

Ok, it's high time somebody did something to help us unlucky people.  Stick with me, this isn't a rant.  I'm world famous for poor hitpoint rolls in gaining.  For instance, my current character is dual class and has gained 8 levels in each class.  So far I have rolled the minimum 3 times in one class, once in the other class, and a bunch of times below the average.  (I know dual class, divide by 2, full con bonus for warrior, max of 2 for other, blah blah blah)

At this point he should have (on average) gained 104 hp, he has gained 81.  I know, 23 hp in the grand scheme ain't that much, but still...

Which brings me to my point.  Instead of the current implementation of number(3,16) for a warrior level (which is a HUGE range to be decided by a single "die" roll) why don't we use dice to make it average out more.  Warriors could have 4d4 for a range of 4-16, being much more likely to end up with 10.  Or if that results in too narrow of a common range, up the dice values, play with +'s and -'s.  The point is there are many ways of keeping the range while weighting the probable outcome towards a more middle of the road result rather than a 13 hp swing being determined on a single roll of the dice.

• per storbeck

per storbeck - 2004-02-20

Maybe it's just me, but I think the fact that it's totally unreliable is kinda fun. We already suffer from having thirteen-in-a-dozen players.