Menu

HA-JDBC 3.0.0 activate does not synchronize

Help
2014-03-07
2014-03-12
  • Justin Cranford

Justin Cranford - 2014-03-07

HA-JDBC can activate and deactivate my databases ok, but activate is not doing any synchronization. I tried with dump-restore and full. Perhaps this is related to doing programmatic setup instead of config.

The symptom is I call activate and it runs very quick, too quick to be doing any synchronization I guess. DatabaseClusterImpl then restarts the db in active list, but eventually I get an error sometime later due to mismatch contents of my databases (I assume for an update).

Mar 07, 2014 4:54:45 PM net.sf.hajdbc.logging.slf4j.SLF4JLogger log
    SEVERE: A result [1] of an operation on database db2 in cluster net.sf.hajdbc.sql.DatabaseClusterImpl@747254 did not match the expected result [0]

• Paul Ferraro

Paul Ferraro - 2014-03-10

Are you trigerring activate(...) programmatically or via JMX? Are you specifying a specific sync strategy to the activate method? If not, what value are you using for the default synchronization strategy?
    Are you using Oracle? dump-restore is only implemented for mysql and postgresql.
    My hunch is that the changes we previously made to the behavior of the DatabaseMetaData.getTables(...) is to blame. If this method returns no results, then sync would be "fast", because nothing is actually sync'ing.

• Justin Cranford

Justin Cranford - 2014-03-10

I am using MySQL with programmatic activation. Sync strategy map contains dump-restore, and default strategy is dump-restore. It makes no difference if I switch to full strategy either.

Here is a JUnit test to demonstrate the issue.

The basic idea is to start with db1 and db2. I create a table and insert a row. Then I deactivate db1, and listener confirms it. Next I insert another row, so db2 has two rows now. Then I try to activate. Activation attempt #1 with DatabaseClusterImpl.activate(String) throws SQL Exception caused by NullPointerException related to MySQL JDBC password initialization, so I cannot use it. Activation attempt #2 with DatabaseClusterImpl.activate(DataSourceDatabase,StateManager) runs without error, and listener confirms db1 is active now. However, as soon as I execute UPDATE sql on the rows, I get ResultSet size mismatch exception in log from HA-JDBC, and listener shows db1 is immediately deactivated again.

Last edit: Justin Cranford 2014-03-10
  • Paul Ferraro

Can you paste the full stacktrace of the SQLException from the DatabaseClusterImpl.activate(String) method?

That's the issue we need to resolve.

DatabaseCluster.activate(Database, StateManager) is not meant to synchronize the database - so don't use this method for that purpose. I never initially intended for users to trigger activation w/synchronization programmatically - it was always meant to be an administrative task (i.e. performed via JMX), which is why the appropriate methods are not adequately exposed via the DatabaseCluster interface. I'll address this in the next release.

• Justin Cranford

Using DatabaseClusterImpl.activate(String) makes sense. Looking back at my working HA-JDBC 2.0.15 code, I was using DriverDatabaseClusterMBean.deactivate(String) and DriverDatabaseClusterMBean.activate(String). That was a different class, but the method signature is the same.

By the way, my 3.0.0 code uses DatabaseClusterImpl.deactivate(DataSourceDatabase,StateManager) which seems to work. DatabaseClusterImpl.deactivate(String) also works. It is only the two activate() methods that are not working. I will switch to deactivate(String) to match usage of activate(String).

Here is the stack trace for DatabaseClusterImpl.activate(String).

Mar 10, 2014 11:50:21 AM net.sf.hajdbc.logging.slf4j.SLF4JLogger log
    INFO: Starting synchronization of database net.sf.hajdbc.sql.DatabaseClusterImpl@164b143 from cluster db1
    Before synchronization event for 'db1'.
    Mar 10, 2014 11:50:21 AM net.sf.hajdbc.logging.slf4j.SLF4JLogger log
    WARNING: Failed to activate database net.sf.hajdbc.sql.DatabaseClusterImpl@164b143 from cluster db1
    java.sql.SQLException
        at net.sf.hajdbc.sql.SQLExceptionFactory.createException(SQLExceptionFactory.java:51)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.sql.SQLExceptionFactory.createException(SQLExceptionFactory.java:35)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.AbstractExceptionFactory.createException(AbstractExceptionFactory.java:62)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.sync.DumpRestoreSynchronizationStrategy.synchronize(DumpRestoreSynchronizationStrategy.java:105)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.sql.DatabaseClusterImpl.activate(DatabaseClusterImpl.java:878)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.sql.DatabaseClusterImpl.activate(DatabaseClusterImpl.java:156)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.sql.DatabaseClusterImpl.activate(DatabaseClusterImpl.java:134)
        at test.TestHAJDBCDemo.test(TestHAJDBCDemo.java:227)
        at test.TestHAJDBCDemo.test(TestHAJDBCDemo.java:69)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.lang.ProcessEnvironment.validateValue(ProcessEnvironment.java:81)
        at java.lang.ProcessEnvironment.put(ProcessEnvironment.java:94)
        at java.lang.ProcessEnvironment.put(ProcessEnvironment.java:69)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.dialect.mysql.MySQLDialect.setPassword(MySQLDialect.java:230)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.dialect.mysql.MySQLDialect.createDumpProcess(MySQLDialect.java:213)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.sync.DumpRestoreSynchronizationStrategy.synchronize(DumpRestoreSynchronizationStrategy.java:94)
        ... 28 more

java.lang.IllegalStateException: java.sql.SQLException
        at net.sf.hajdbc.sql.DatabaseClusterImpl.activate(DatabaseClusterImpl.java:174)
        at test.TestHAJDBCDemo.test(TestHAJDBCDemo.java:227)

• Paul Ferraro

Does db1 not have a password defined in your ha-jdbc configuration? It looks like HA-JDBC does not currently handle that case correctly. I'll fix this now.
    You should be able to workaround the issue by supplying a ~/.my.cnf file in your home directory that provides the username/password to use for the dump/restore processes.

• Justin Cranford

I set data source JDBC properties during programmatic configuration. You can see it in the JUnit test attached earlier to this thread.

Is the problem because I set JDBC password via DataSourceDatabase.setProperty() instead of DataSourceDatabase.setPassword()? If so I can switch for username and password.

Note, I don't see corresponding methods for setting url and driverClassName, so I assume they have to be set via generic setProperty().

• Paul Ferraro

Ah, yes. That's the problem. The dump/restore strategy uses the value of Database.getPassword() and passes that value to the dump/restore processes.

• Justin Cranford

I just tried using DataSourceDatabase.setUsername() and DataSourceDatabase.setPassword(). I forgot those methods are forbidden by BasicDataSource class in DBCP 1.4. That is why I used DataSourceDatabase.setProperty("username",username) and DataSourceDatabase.setProperty("password",password) instead for HA-JDBC programmatic config.

java.sql.SQLException: Not supported by BasicDataSource
        at net.sf.hajdbc.sql.SQLExceptionFactory.createException(SQLExceptionFactory.java:51)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.sql.SQLExceptionFactory.createException(SQLExceptionFactory.java:35)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.AbstractExceptionFactory.createException(AbstractExceptionFactory.java:62)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.util.concurrent.LifecycleRegistry.get(LifecycleRegistry.java:95)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.util.concurrent.LifecycleRegistry.get(LifecycleRegistry.java:34)
        at net.sf.hajdbc.sql.CommonDataSource.getProxy(CommonDataSource.java:85)
        at test.TestHAJDBCDemo.test(TestHAJDBCDemo.java:160)

• Paul Ferraro

Hmm. That's unfortunate. Have you tried specifying the password via a ~/.my.cnf file?

• Justin Cranford

Justin Cranford - 2014-03-11

I tried my.ini. It did not work.

• Paul Ferraro

Paul Ferraro - 2014-03-11

Another alternative...
    Extend BasicDataSource and implement getConnection(String user, String password).
    e.g.

public class MyBasicDataSource extends BasicDataSource
    {
        @Override
        public Connection getConnection(String user, String password)
        {
            return this.getConnection();
        }
    }

This way you can still configure your DataSourceDatabase with a user name and password (so it can by read by the dump/restore process) and DBCP won't complain about this method not being supported.

• Justin Cranford

To use this override of BasicDataSource, I would also have override BasicDataSourceFactory from Apache Commons 1.4. Using a delegator class seems like more straight forward variation to override BasicDataSource's implementation.

Note that I already have my own DataSourceDelegator class. I needed it to workaround JNDI read-only exception in Tomcat. It feels a bit hackish, but I can change my vanilla delegator of javax.sql.DataSource to redirect getConnection(String,String) to getConnection().

• Justin Cranford

Overriding getConnection(String,String) did not work. MySQLDialect.setPassword() still executes and gets NULL password from connection properties. However, I did discover a workaround!

Instead of calling both DataSourceDatabase.getUser() and DataSourceDatabase.setPassword(), I only set the password. That is enough to satisfy HA-JDBC 3.0.0 and Apache Commons 1.4.0.

That part is good, but then I hit another blocker. DumpSynchronizationStrategy gets an error logging into MySQL because it passes the wrong username. Here is the exception. Notice the username passed to MySQL incorrectly contains the hostname.

Mar 11, 2014 4:21:04 PM net.sf.hajdbc.logging.slf4j.SLF4JLogger log
        WARNING: Failed to activate database net.sf.hajdbc.sql.DatabaseClusterImpl@c88ff from cluster db2
        java.sql.SQLException: mysqldump: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'root@10.20.0.150'@'10.20.0.150' (using password: YES) when trying to connect

at net.sf.hajdbc.sync.DumpRestoreSynchronizationStrategy.synchronize(DumpRestoreSynchronizationStrategy.java:105)

I traced the problem to DumpRestoreSynchronizationStrategy.java at lines 177-178. Line 178 gets the expected "rootpwd" password value from meta data, but line 177 gets wrong username "root@10.20.0.150" from meta data. The expected username is "root", not "root@10.20.0.150".

this.user = metaData.getUserName(); // WRONG: root@10.20.0.150 (should be "root")
        this.password = database.decodePassword(context.getDecoder()); // CORRECT: rootpwd

So, password workaround is workaround with DBCP 1.4.0, but username has a bug.

• Paul Ferraro

This is a implementation detail of MySQL's driver. Fortunately, you can configure the MySQL driver to omit the host name from DatabaseMetaData.getUserName() method by appending the property "useHostsInPrivileges=false" to your jdbc urls.

e.g.

jdbc:mysql://hostname:port/database?useHostsInPrivileges=false

For details, see:
          http://dev.mysql.com/doc/connector-j/en/connector-j-reference-configuration-properties.html

• Justin Cranford

Justin Cranford - 2014-03-12

I tried useHostsInPrivileges=false. That gets me past the login error, so both username and password settings seem good now. However, now I get a different exception.

Mar 12, 2014 8:43:46 AM net.sf.hajdbc.logging.slf4j.SLF4JLogger log
            WARNING: Failed to activate database net.sf.hajdbc.sql.DatabaseClusterImpl@9e637e from cluster db2
            java.sql.SQLException: mysqldump: Couldn't find table: ">"

Last edit: Justin Cranford 2014-03-12
            • Justin Cranford

Looks like a problem with the mysqldump command generated by DumpRestoreSynchronizationStrategy. I am running on Windows 7 x64 with MySQL 5.5.15 x32. I stepped into HA-JDBC code, and this is the command it generated.

[mysqldump, -h, 10.20.0.150, -P, 3306, -u, root, db1, >, C:\tomcat\temp\ha-jdbc_6072594269671238714.dump]

Running that on the command line gives me an error, although a slightly different one.

mysqldump: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'root'@'10.20.0.150' (using password: NO) when trying to connect

To fix this error on my system, I had to add a "-p" parameter after the username. I don't need to specify the password value on the command line, but the "-p" parameter is required for mysqldump to prompt for the password. Perhaps this is slightly different mysqldump behavior on Windows versus other platforms like Linux.

• Justin Cranford

I switched from "dump-restore" to "full" synchronization to rule out any other issues. It works, so perhaps the only issue now is mysqldump command format compatibility on Windows.

• Paul Ferraro

Paul Ferraro - 2014-03-12

The mysqldump command generated by HA-JDBC specifies the password via the MYSQL_PWD environment variable (or, alternatively via ~/.my.cnf). That's why it does not use the "-p" argument.

• Paul Ferraro

Paul Ferraro - 2014-03-12

• Paul Ferraro

Not "my.ini". It needs to be named ".my.cnf" and be located in the home directory of the user under which the dump/restore process will run. See the mysql docs for details.

• Justin Cranford

Quick question.

Does it make sense to change HA-JDBC to call getConnection(), or add the option to choose via a config setting somehow?

The problem seems to arise because of mixing calls to getConnection() and getConnection(String,String). I have no idea why Apache Commons 1.4.0 would refuse to implement both getConnection methods from javax.sql.DataSource, especially since they did implement both in 1.2.0. However, it is what it is, and the side effect is it makes HA-JDBC 3.0.0 incompatible with Apache Commons 1.4.0.

• Justin Cranford

This is an interesting comment on Apache Commons 1.4.

http://stackoverflow.com/a/10997402