White window when starting gyachi

Help
2008-12-21
2013-04-23
  • Razor Summers
    Razor Summers
    2008-12-21

Hello everyone,

On one of my computers it is difficult to log in. When I start gyachi I get to see a white swindow for several minutes. It simply does not respond for the first 8 minutes or so. After I finally begin to see the gyachi pop-up login window appear, but even then I have to be lucky to be able to login. Often I get time-outs despite being connected.

Any help solving my problem is appreciated,

thank you.

• Razor Summers
      Razor Summers
      2008-12-21

By the way,

I use Ubuntu 8.10 and gyachi 1.1.53

• loell
      loell
      2008-12-21

hi..

this is more of a network connection problem, probably your dns took long to resolve some yahoo name server, the reason as to why its becomes white during login (is a bit technical),   gyachi log in process isn't separated form the UI so when it took too long to log in, the main User Inerface isn't updated, hence giving you the white look possibly giving you the impression that (it freezes).

• Patrick Martin
        Patrick Martin
        2008-12-21

loell said:
        this is more of a network connection problem, probably your dns took long to resolve some yahoo name server, the reason as to why its becomes white during login (is a bit technical), gyachi log in process isn't separated form the UI so when it took too long to log in, the main User Inerface isn't updated, hence giving you the white look possibly giving you the impression that (it freezes).

My comment:
        I've noticed an amount of failed DNS.  Some of which is definitely my connection - I use Time Warner and have had a few discussions - it's not only Gyachi where I see failed DNS.

But I was thinking...  For those of us with a slow/retarded DNS happening, perhaps something user adjustable might be a handy feature for in the future.

for myself, last time I was having actual DNS issues, they caught my modem with a weak signal, sent a tech out, everything showing weak signal, changed a couple coax connectors and all was fine.  Everything show good signal again.  That was a couple years back.

I just need my timing to be impeccable to call in and get them to spot me with a weak signal at modem...  Easier said than done.

-Pat

• loell
      loell
      2008-12-22

originally qouted from Patrick Martin:
      [q]
      But I was thinking... For those of us with a slow/retarded DNS happening, perhaps something user adjustable might be a handy feature for in the future.
      [/q]

are you looking for longer DNS time out?

as to the white window issue, since its almost impossible to  separate the login process without involving huge rewrite, i think it could be mitigated by using g_timeout_add and update the gtk Main UI,  though its up to greg if this is even feasible.

• Patrick Martin
        Patrick Martin
        2008-12-22

[q]
        are you looking for longer DNS time out?
        [/q]

I would say yes, longer and user adjustable if possible.

I don't code, well, haven't in 15+ years anyway - but kind of thinking of an adjustable slider for this time out range   But as well understand that would be far more work to do it adjustable as opposed to just increasing DNS time out in code...

• Greg Hosler
      Greg Hosler
      2008-12-22

without DNS an internet connected computer is rather useless.

fix your dns.

You *might* try using:

openDNS 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220

or

Maxis: 202.75.160.8 202.75.160.9

Both (esp the 1st) should allow you to use them for dns resolution. (you'll have to manually configure this, of course, and this is NOT a gyachi configurable issue. This is a network configuration issue...)

All the best,

-Greg

• Razor Summers
      Razor Summers
      2008-12-25

Now how can my DNS not be working correctly when I have no problems with any other chat protocol? IRC and MSN are working just fine.

• tajidin abd
      tajidin abd
      2008-12-25

well i was having this same issue yesterday when i reinstalled gyachi for my self i tried removing the folder named .yahoorc from ur home folder and see if it works after i did this the white screen went away and  i was able to login. this folder contains the setting for ur gyachi just in case u are wondering