I have no experience with the Gumstix and very very little experience with
Linux. I have some very basic questions that I hope some of you can give
very verbose answers to. I have connected a USB hub with keyboard and
mouse, monitor, and power. I have booted and poked around the File System
and the Enlightenment GUI, and that's about it.
1) My Gumstix is running Linux Overo 2.6.30-omap1 armv71? Does this sound
correct? I have already noticed that it doesn't have all the commands that
my Fedora 11 machine has, is there a place I can get information about this
build?.. distribution? whatever? I just did 'cat /etc/issue' and got back
that I am running the Angstrom 2009 Distribution.
2) I made a simple 'Hello World' .c file, and tried to do gcc hello.c -o
hello, but it replies 'gcc: not found'. The first thing I want to do is
compile and run a simple program. What am I missing?
3) Open Embedded? From what I understand Open Embedded is software that
lets you cross-compile for the GumStix. Would this be correct? It's not
running on the Gumstix?, it would run on your desktop/laptop linux machine
and be used to compile programs/OS/?? for the gumstix? Is this a correct
4) I am using the summit expansion board. This has a USB Serial Console
connector. How do I use this and my linux machine to connect to the
5) I want to write & compile a simple 'Hello world' program on my Fedora
laptop, download it to the gumstix, and run it. That is my first simple
step. Any help?
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Compleat-beginner%27s-questions-on-Overo---Open-Embedded-tp26969500p26969500.html
Sent from the Gumstix mailing list archive at Nabble.com.