Hi,
 
Yes, we use a powered usb hub. But we have our own custom board with the USB Hub IC on it, which also gives us an extra things like more usb ports for usb sticks, etc and an external SD Card reader. The USB wireless dongle we are using is http://www.sparklan.com/product.php?func=view&prod_id=60 - it can be ordered with and without the usb socket. We are still in alpha stage of our product, so it may be best to go with Alex Gibson's sugggestions if they have used something for 2 years.
 
Good luck,
 
Ben


From: Blaine Booher [mailto:bgbooher@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 28 February 2012 9:37 AM
To: General mailing list for gumstix users.
Subject: Re: [Gumstix-users] gumstix as accesspoint for wifi?

Ben,

Do you use a powered hub with your usb module?

I'm about to give up on the overo wifi chip. We have a project that is becoming unwieldy due to wifi issues we're experiencing. It is incredibly frustrating. Randomly dropped connections, mostly. We can't pin it down to router hardware, signal strength, or anything else. It works great up until it doesn't, the wifi light just turns off. It scares me to think about using this gumstix out in the wild. We may end up using a USB dongle but I fear we may need to use a powered hub. This is turning into a nightmare.

Sincerely,
Blaine


On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Keane, Ben (STRX) <ben.keane@kaelus.com> wrote:
I am not sure the 'brand' .. Its an OEM one that uses the RT2571WF IC.

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Brad Midgley [mailto:bmidgley@gmail.com]
>Sent: Tuesday, 14 February 2012 1:37 PM
>To: General mailing list for gumstix users.
>Subject: Re: [Gumstix-users] gumstix as accesspoint for wifi?
>
>Which usb adapters are you guys using? Back when I was
>searching, it was tricky to find the right one.
>
>On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Keane, Ben (STRX)
><ben.keane@kaelus.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, we use a USB Wi-Fi Dongle in our product because of that.
>>
>> ________________________________
>> From: Harvey Chapman [mailto:hchapman-gumstix@3gfp.com]
>> Sent: Tuesday, 14 February 2012 1:07 AM
>> To: General mailing list for gumstix users.
>> Subject: Re: [Gumstix-users] gumstix as accesspoint for wifi?
>>
>> Are you using the Wireless module that gumstix sells? I thought that
>> the driver for it didn't support hostapd.
>>
>> On Feb 12, 2012, at 6:05 PM, Keane, Ben (STRX) wrote:
>>
>> HI Patrik,
>>
>> I use hostapd. http://w1.fi/hostapd/  I cross-compiled this to
>> Android. I'm not familar with the OE way of doing things, but maybe
>> there is a recipe or something you can use.
>>
>> Ben
>>
>>
>> ________________________________
>> From: Patrik Svensson [mailto:patsv@bredband.net]
>> Sent: Monday, 13 February 2012 12:09 AM
>> To: gumstix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>> Subject: [Gumstix-users] gumstix as accesspoint for wifi?
>>
>> Maybe an old question but is there a way of getting the
>gumstix act as
>> an accesspoint.
>> It would be nice to limit the number of boxes necessary for creating
>> an network.
>> Patrik
>>
>>
>______________________________________________________________________
>> CAUTION: This message was sent via the Public Internet and its
>> authenticity cannot be guaranteed.
>>
>>
>> PROPRIETARY: This e-mail contains proprietary information
>some or all
>> of which may be legally privileged. It is intended for the recipient
>> only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this
>> e-mail, please notify the authority by replying to this
>e-mail. If you
>> are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
>distribute,
>> copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.
>>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> -------- Virtualization & Cloud Management Using Capacity Planning
>> Cloud computing makes use of virtualization - but cloud
>computing also
>> focuses on allowing computing to be delivered as a service.
>>
>http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51521223/______________________
>> _________________________
>> gumstix-users mailing list
>> gumstix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
>>
>>
>>
>>
>______________________________________________________________________
>> CAUTION: This message was sent via the Public Internet and its
>> authenticity cannot be guaranteed.
>>
>>
>> PROPRIETARY: This e-mail contains proprietary information
>some or all
>> of which may be legally privileged. It is intended for the recipient
>> only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this
>> e-mail, please notify the authority by replying to this
>e-mail. If you
>> are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
>distribute,
>> copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.
>>
>>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> -------- Try before you buy = See our experts in action!
>> The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft
>> developers is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL - plus
>> HTML5, CSS3, MVC3, Metro Style Apps, more. Free future
>releases when you subscribe now!
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2
>> _______________________________________________
>> gumstix-users mailing list
>> gumstix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
>>
>
>
>
>--
>Brad Midgley
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------
>---------------
>Keep Your Developer Skills Current with LearnDevNow!
>The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft
>developers is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL -
>plus HTML5, CSS3, MVC3, Metro Style Apps, more. Free future
>releases when you subscribe now!
>http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d
>_______________________________________________
>gumstix-users mailing list
>gumstix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
>
>______________________________________________________________________
>CAUTION: This message was sent via the Public Internet and its
>authenticity cannot be guaranteed.
>

PROPRIETARY: This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged.  It is intended for the recipient only.  If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the authority by replying to this e-mail.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Your Developer Skills Current with LearnDevNow!
The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft developers
is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL - plus HTML5, CSS3, MVC3,
Metro Style Apps, more. Free future releases when you subscribe now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
gumstix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users


______________________________________________________________________
CAUTION: This message was sent via the Public Internet and its authenticity cannot be guaranteed.

PROPRIETARY: This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is intended for the recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the authority by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.