subtitles in a dvd clip

Help
2008-06-09
2013-05-08
  • ric lewallen
    ric lewallen
    2008-06-09

Hello,
      I have searched for the last 3 hours trying to figure out an answer to this question.  I used DVD shrink to capture a 9 minute clip, saved the clip to a file (vob extension).  When I play the clip in MPC, it works fine, except that the subtitles are not accessible. I set the directshow video to vmr9 in MPC playback output options.  When I use cyberlink to play the file, the subtitles are shown.  The subtitle options in on the play and navigate menus are greyed out.  When I put a dvd in the computer and play it, I can show the subtitles, so I cannot figure out what the difference is and why MPC cannot show the subtitles on the clip.
       Any insight will be most appreciated.

• Yuri Khan
      Yuri Khan
      2008-06-09

Maybe you are playing the VOB file itself, whereas your other DVD player plays the DVD directory as a whole. Try using the "Open DVD" command in MPC’s File menu, or pass "/dvd pathname" switch in the MPC command line.

If that doesn’t work, there’s something wrong with the way you mastered your *.IFO files.

• ric lewallen
      ric lewallen
      2008-06-09

Hi Yuri,
         Your suggestion worked great.  I can now get to the navigation menu and enable/disable the subtitles.  Is there a way to enable subtitles from the command line?  I did not see it in the help box for command line on MPC.  Or is there a way to configure an instance of MPC that runs with subtitles and one that does not.  Thank you again.  ric lewallen