Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Help! MPC Home Cinema Freezes Windows 7!

Will Khan
2010-12-03
2013-05-08
  • Will Khan
    Will Khan
    2010-12-03

Hi - I am having a very bizarre problem here.  I have downloaded the latest MPC Home Cinema (Build Number 1.4.2499.0).  I have the latest codecs downloaded and installed from k-lite codec pack full.  My system is windows 7 Pro 64 bit running on a Sony Vaio Z laptop with an Nvideo graphics card.  All my windows and laptop drivers are uptodate.  The problem is that when I double click on a video file (f4v, mpg, avi) media player classic loads the file, then freezes (everything freezes -mouse, windows, etc.)  I can only power the laptop down to restart the computer.

Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening, or how it can be fixed?  Other video players, like VLC, or nero showtime play fine, but I prefer to use MPC.

Thanks!
    Wkhan69

• Axe
    Axe
    2010-12-03

Hi, have you uninstalled all and reinstalled?

• Will Khan
    Will Khan
    2010-12-03

yes - at least twice.  I even installed an older version of MPC (without the "Home Cinema"), but the results were the same.

Also, I have another Sony Vaio Z laptop, almost identical to the one with the MPC problem.   MPC works fine on that laptop, so I think we can eliminate hardware issues.

I'm really puzzled on this one!

Will

• Axe
    Axe
    2010-12-03

Dose Windows player work?

• Axe
    Axe
    2010-12-03

Also, what about pictures can you view them?

• Will Khan
    Will Khan
    2010-12-04

Windows Media Player works fine in every case.  Oh, also I forgot an important point.  My MPC (& windows) freezes only when I double click on a video file in explorer (which 1st launches MPC.)  ie:  if I 1st manually run MPC, then go file->quick open-> name of file, everything works fine.  Even if I open multiple instances of MPC.  It's just when I double click on a video file from within explorer does it cause my system to hang.

Regarding pictures, windows photo viewer is launched when I double click on pictures.  That works fine.  I haven't used MPC to open pictures (I don't think it does, normally)

Will

• Axe
    Axe
    2010-12-04

What about telling each file ( avi,or what ever ,to  ( open with / choose program )) so that the system re-knows what to use again.

PS: I have never used windows explorer. I use Director Opus and it  runs rings around it.  You could un-install and re-install Explorer.

• Will Khan
    Will Khan
    2010-12-05

I have set, in explorer, the default video player for most files to be VLC player, which works fine.  This is a work-around, but it does allow me to launch most movies from explorer problem-free.  I guess it just bugs me that MPC worked for me for 10 years, and now I have to get used to using something else.  I have it in my head that I have to fix it - it's all psychological I guess.

I'll check out an alternative explorer.  Director Opus looks interesting, but expensive.  I'll see if there are any free ones.  Or maybe there's a whole alternative desktop suite that has a good explorer alternative.
    Thanks
    Will

• Axe
    Axe
    2010-12-06

Hi, buddy, I know what you mean about something that should work and it doesn't. I wouldn't be able to stop until I fixed it. Or look at the hammer in the tool box. LOL

Just a note on Opus, there is no alternative this program will run your whole computer and cut down the time by half.
    Note*  Set it up with 2 view windows, drives down the middle or directories and you will never stop using it.
    I can't find something it can't do. (It's free for 3 month anyway)

Any chance if you do fix your problem letting me know. I may come across the same problem with a friends computer down the line. And the info would come in handy and save a lot of time.

Axe

• Will Khan
    Will Khan
    2010-12-06

Thanks for the help.  I'll keep looking for answers.  I'm hoping experienced hackers look at this forum  (and will continue to look at this thread), and will offer something if they've been through the same problem.  I will update this thread if I find something that works.  My concern is that this problem is a one-time thing that something somewhere got corrupted, and I have to reinstall windows to fix it, which wouldn't be worth it.  Let's keep our eyes peeled for solutions!
    Will

• Tim
    Tim
    2010-12-06

I'm SURE this has nothings to do with the shell being used. :-/  Codec packs are not a good idea because they can actually damage Windows beyond repair.

I suggest uninstalling the codec pack and only installing specific codecs for the video  or audio formats that will not play.  Having said that, FFDSHOW is actually a good all-in-one non-codec pack solution for different video and audio formats.

Good luck!

• Will Khan
    Will Khan
    2010-12-07

I tried what you suggested, and it worked!  I uninstalled k-lite codec pack 6.6.0, and everything worked.  To double check, I reinstalled the latest k-lite codec pack 6.6.1, and the problem started again.  So, it was clear that k-lite codec pack was bad for my system.

And because I'm so curious and I like pain, I then installed FFDSHOW, -everything still worked.  I'm not sure what the difference is between FFDSHOW and k-lite codec pack, but whatever it its, k-lite stopped my MPC from launching from explorer. 

Also of note, I didn't need any FFDSHOW or any other codec pack to play my videos.  I just assumed it's always good to install lots of codecs so my videos will play "better".  But, I did not need them.  Admittedly, VLC player always worked perfectly.  So, I will keep that in mind if I have problems in the future.  Thanks for everyone for looking at this issue!
    Will

• Tim
    Tim
    2010-12-07

Glad to hear I could help!

Nah, a codec should only be installed if something doesn't play or if there are obvious problems with the current one.  The same rule here that applies elsewhere; if it works, don't fix it! ;-)

VLC has all of its codecs built in (hence its larger size), so it doesn't have to rely on anything external.  MPC has very few built in.

I was thinking about the launching from Explorer problem…  Maybe something in that K-Lite codec pack had a problem with being loaded by Explorer to display the thumbnail at the same time that MPC was trying to use it to play the file.  Regardless of the cause, just be glad it didn't screw up your Windows for good. ;-)

• Ed7777
    Ed7777
    2010-12-07

Ok,
      I have XP, so I am not sure about the latest "best".
    In Explorer, Tools / Folder Options / Filetypes under say .wmv Advanced.
    Open is default, edit and I see:
    "C:\Program Files\mplayerc.exe" "%1"
    This is what will work.
    But this is XP…..
    Obviously you can have the player in any folder.

"%1" means play the double clicked filename with quotes (as it probably has spaces in the filename).

I do not have access to win7, to help you much more.
    Software often does not put "%1" in properly for you. Also "Open" is bolded (Set as Default).

This sounds like a problem to be solved with your Operating System. If I had this problem in XP it would not be an mplayerc.exe problem, but an XP trick.

If my info is meaningless to you you should post in a windows 7 forum, and state you have a problem shell executing your program. Suggest finding the forum at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US    …. look for windows 7

later,
    Ed

• Tim
    Tim
    2010-12-07

Ed…

If you read the 3 posts before yours, you'll see that the problem has been solved. ;-)

• Will Khan
    Will Khan
    2010-12-07

Hi Ed,
    That's good info, but I think I didn't describe the problem accurately in my last post: the problem wasn't that you couldn't launch MPC from explorer.  The problem was that after you launched MPC from explorer, my whole system would freeze and I could only restart it by powering my laptop off and on again.
    Thanks,
    Will

• Axe
    Axe
    2010-12-07

Hay just read. Good to here it was just the codec, uninstall and reinstall all.  When you said you did I should have broken down my Q; into program and codec. How easy is it to just go straight past the problem and shake your head for hours.LOL  anyway all the best.

• clsid
    clsid
    2010-12-21

Your virus scanner may have been the real cause of the problem. Some give problems with Media Player Classic, for example Kaspersky.