Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

HD boot gets wrong device name

Ken Yap
2008-02-29
2013-02-08
  • Ken Yap
    Ken Yap
    2008-02-29

Not the 486 problem this time. This is on a Pentium with a CDROM and HD.

The CDROM boot works great. This was the reason I tried gujin, because it has a defective BIOS that can't boot most CDROMs.

The HD boot from gujin works but fails later when the OS tries to mount the HD, because the device name is wrong. It tries to mount /dev/sda2. However the OS (Linux, distro IPCop) actually calls it /dev/harddisk2.

Both the boot partition entry and the boot BIOS entry have the same problem.

I think the reason is gujin doesn't go through GRUB, which is on the disk. Or do I have to pass boot parameters through gujin parameters like I do with GRUB?

The HD does work. If I boot it from the BIOS without gujin, it boots and starts fine. It's been working fine with another mobo so this is expected.

It's not an issue since I would just let the BIOS boot the HD normally, but I thought I would mention it.

• > Or do I have to pass boot parameters through gujin parameters like I do with GRUB?

Well, Gujin cannot guess that the device name is non-standard, because it is probably created by udev
      so the name does not exists at bootloader time. Also your partition doesn't have a label so Gujin
      cannot mount by label (man e2label). Gujin does not parse Grub command file.
      If you go to the last setup screen in Gujin, you can type the Linux command line "root=/dev/harddisk2",
      and if the "write enable" tickbox is checked that will be saved in Gujin configuration for next boot.
      The installer "instboot" will have copied "unusual" kernel parameters from /proc/cmdline but
      ignores "root=" parameter because it is usually better to select the partition which contained the
      Linux kernel (think disk swapping, multiple USB keys, full partition copying and moving from disk
      partition tools).
      Alternatively you can boot Grub from Gujin, if you select to view all the partition boot record.

• Ken Yap
      Ken Yap
      2008-02-29

Ok, that makes sense. That also explains the /dev/sda2 since I actually made the boot floppy on a system with SATA disks. I should read the instructions on instboot again to make sure that it is passing the right parameters. Thanks.