Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

boot from autoexec.bat

2008-05-13
2013-02-08
  • Dimitris.C.G.
    Dimitris.C.G.
    2008-05-13

It is possible to create a command that can be executed on a bat file like autoexec?
    I have an old computer and the bios does not ID the USB thump drive. So i boot from the floppy using freedos and load the usb with USBASPI.SYS and di1000dd.sys
    It is possible to make the usb to boot with the gujin after is being loaded? I assign the usb as C: and i am able to browse on the directories. (The usb is boot-able and can boot with new bios.)?
    i also have an iso image freenas.iso on the usb with shsucdhd.exe and SHSUCDX.exe i am able to assign the image as W: and i am able to browse on the directories. how can a boot from W:?
    also it is posible to use tiny.exe and boot the freebsd KERNEL from the command line and how do i load the parameters? or can i do chain loader and how?

Regards

Dimitri

• > It is possible to create a command that can be executed on a bat file like autoexec?

You can execute either boot.exe or tiny.exe from autoexec.bat, after loading USBASPI.SYS,
      and access the USB devices, but that can only load a Linux kernel or an ELF file.
      If you try to boot a MBR or a partition, DOS will "reset" memory allocation system
      so that the memory used by USBASPI.SYS is no more reserved and will be overwritten pretty
      soon - it will crash as soon as the interrupt handlers of this driver are called.
      So loading master/partition boot records is disabled in all Gujin exe files.
      ISO images can be booted if they are copied into a separate partition, well I did not plan
      to boot them from DOS even if it has some chances to work (and some chances to crash).
      I still did not have time to look how FreeBSD kernel boots so cannot help there, the
      chain loader works but that is booting a partition - i.e. not from DOS.

Regards,
      Etienne.