Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

KML output for Gridlab 2.3

2013-02-14
2013-03-16
  • Nicholas Heine
    Nicholas Heine
    2013-02-14

Hi,

I am having trouble getting a kml output from version 2.3.  When I execute, GridLab crashes, and a kml file is created but it has no contents.    Any tips?

• We need more information before we can assist you.  What is the command line?  What is the GLM file (could you attach it or email it)?

• Nicholas Heine
    Nicholas Heine
    2013-02-14

Sorry,
    I meant to attach the files.   Here is the GLM file:

#set profiler=1
    #set threadcount=1;
    #set randomseed=1;
    #set relax_naming_rules=1;

clock {
            timezone EST+5EDT;
            starttime '2000-06-02 0:00:00';
            stoptime '2000-06-04 0:00:00';
    }
    //module generators;
    //module tape;

module powerflow{
            //solver_method FBS;
            //default_maximum_voltage_error 1e-9;
    };

object node{
    name node1;
    bustype SWING;
    phases ABCN;
    voltage_A +7199.558+0.000j;
    voltage_B -3599.779-6235.000j;
    voltage_C -3599.779+6235.000j;
    nominal_voltage 7200;
    latitude 12N34.00056;
    longitude 12W34.00056;
    }

And the preferences setup  command:  C:\Program Files\GridLAB-D\bin\gridlabd.exe
                                                      parameter:  -o gridlabd -kml -dumpall

And here is what the KML output file looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">
      <Document>
        <name></name>
        <description>GridLAB-D results for INIT</description>
      </Document>
    </kml>

Thanks
    Nick

• If you put your GLM data in a file called "myfile.glm", then the command line should be "gridlabd myfile.glm -kml"  and this will generate a file called "gridlabd.kml".  The error is caused by omitted the input file name in the command line.

• leilagh
    leilagh
    2013-02-14

Hi
    I have the same problem, when I type "gridlabd myfile.glm -kml" in the parameter line I get:

ERROR  : unable to load 'gridlabd.glm': No such file or directory
    FATAL  : shutdown after command line rejected

Tool completed with exit code 1

What should I do?

Thank you

• I tested this on Mac and it works fine.  I haven't tried it on x64, but the error your report looks suspiciously like a command line parsing problem as it interacts with the globals used to control processing sequence.

• Jason Fuller
    Jason Fuller
    2013-02-14

Confirmed failures in release versions for both x64 and win32.  Looks like the "debug" versions work just fine, so something/someone isn't playing nice.  I'm looking into it right now.

• I tried to replicate the problems Jason reports on a source-built release x64 version and I couldn't.  I did realize something that I failed to notice before. The example you give uses the residential module, which does not support KML output.  If you were to try using the powerflow module you should see output. 

You can check whether a module implements KML by using the -L command line option:

host% gridlabd -L residential
    WARNING [INIT] : /usr/lib/gridlabd/tzinfo.txt(37): timezone spec 'WILDABBR0WILDABBR' not found in 'tzinfo.txt', will include no DST information
    Module name....... residential
    Major version..... 2
    Minor version..... 0
    Classes........... residential_enduse, house_a, house, waterheater, lights, refrigerator, clotheswasher, dishwasher, occupantload, plugload, microwave, range, freezer, dryer, evcharger, ZIPload, thermal_storage, evcharger_det
    Implementations... check 
    Globals........... default_line_voltage default_line_current default_outdoor_temperature default_humidity default_solar default_etp_iterations ANSI_voltage_check implicit_enduses house_low_temperature_warning[degF] house_high_temperature_warning[degF] thermostat_control_warning system_dwell_time[s] aux_cutin_temperature[degF] 
    host% gridlabd -L powerflow
    WARNING [INIT] : /usr/lib/gridlabd/tzinfo.txt(37): timezone spec 'WILDABBR0WILDABBR' not found in 'tzinfo.txt', will include no DST information
    Module name....... powerflow
    Major version..... 2
    Minor version..... 0
    Classes........... node, link, capacitor, fuse, meter, line, line_spacing, overhead_line, underground_line, overhead_line_conductor, underground_line_conductor, line_configuration, relay, transformer_configuration, transformer, load, regulator_configuration, regulator, triplex_node, triplex_meter, triplex_line, triplex_line_configuration, triplex_line_conductor, switch, substation, pqload, voltdump, series_reactor, restoration, frequency_gen, volt_var_control, fault_check, motor, billdump, power_metrics, currdump, recloser, sectionalizer, emissions, load_tracker
    Implementations... check kmldump 
    Globals........... show_matrix_values primary_voltage_ratio nominal_frequency require_voltage_control geographic_degree fault_impedance warning_underfrequency warning_overfrequency warning_undervoltage warning_overvoltage warning_voltageangle maximum_voltage_error solver_method line_capacitance line_limits lu_solver acceleration_factor NR_iteration_limit NR_superLU_procs default_maximum_voltage_error NR_admit_change enable_subsecond_models deltamode_timestep

• Ignore the strikeout font above.  BBCode tags are being obnoxious and converting the seconds unit designation on system_dwell_time.

• (Beeping sound while I back up).  I meant to say "the example I used" uses residential module.  Yours obviously uses powerflow and Matt has confirmed something is going terribly wrong when nodes are processed.

• leilagh
    leilagh
    2013-02-15

What should I do now?

• Jason Fuller
    Jason Fuller
    2013-02-15

Just hold tight.  We have someone looking at the problem now.

• The problem has been identified and a fix is proposed for validation in ticket/700.

• Nicholas Heine
    Nicholas Heine
    2013-02-15

OK, Thanks very much for the help. 
    What Mac version of GridLab do you use to support kml output?

• I think I'm running the download (-version says build 5034), but it's harder to tell with 2.3 exactly which is running than in trunk.

• Nicholas Heine
    Nicholas Heine
    2013-02-18

Thank you.  Do I need to copy the changes listed in ticket/700 to the files on my system in order to fix the problem, or should I wait for the next stable release?

• Jason Fuller
    Jason Fuller
    2013-02-18

Nick,

The changes from ticket 700 were added to v2.3 in Revision 3855.  We've got a couple other little changes that are making it into the next release candidate that we are waiting for…probably Tues or Weds for the next executable release.

• leilagh
    leilagh
    2013-02-19

Thank you for your support
    If we have a node that is a parent node, Is that possible to see the connected components to it?

• Jason Fuller
    Jason Fuller
    2013-02-19

Leilagh,

Not sure I follow your question.  Can you explain a little more what you are looking for?

• leilagh
    leilagh
    2013-02-19

for example a house cannot have coordination in gridlab_D, but its parent (triplex_node)can. after getting kml output and importing it to the Googleearth, would we see the house,also?

• Residential module doesn't support KML at all.  I've been tempted to add it for months, but I haven't had time even though it's a couple hour job.  At this point it's probably too late for 2.3 anyway.  It would end up in trunk with first release in 3.0 unless the consensus is that holding up 2.3 stable release for this is reasonable.  Not my call.

• leilagh
    leilagh
    2013-02-25

After installing the updated version, It works well. Thank you very much.