Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Can't paste the clipboard data

Help
2012-11-30
2013-04-02
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Dmitry Katsubo
    Dmitry Katsubo
    2012-11-30

I have copied the image from LotusNotes message. I can correctly paste it into xnview, however Greenshot displays the error message that the data cannot be imported from clipboard. I can supply additional info about the clipboard content, if needed.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-12-01

Hi,
    Yes, please let me know the image format. What do you actually do, copy to the clipboard from LotusNotes and than use the Context Menu of Greenshot to open from clipboard? What exactly does the error say?

And I also need what version of Greenshot you are using, but if you write it in the other post it will also be okay.

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Dmitry Katsubo
    Dmitry Katsubo
    2012-12-10

I have made a try for InsideClipboard – enough to view the clipboard content.

It turned out that Lotus Notes puts BITMAP with zero length and DIB with actual length to clipboard. Hopefully you can improve clipboard import by looking at this screenshot.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-12-10

That might actually help, thanks!

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-12-17

I already made some change for 1.1 which should solve this issue, please check as soon as the 1.1 is available as unstable or release candidate and report back.

• Dmitry Katsubo
    Dmitry Katsubo
    2012-12-21

I have downloaded the latest version: the same error appears.

I have saved the clipboard data into CLP format with InsideClipboard but that should be standard format for this kind of data which you can read with any other compatible tool.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-12-21

That is really odd, for me it works… The weird thing is that I do not get the exact list of clipboard formats as you have in your screenshot, the palette is missing. I hope to have some time the next days, but I am underway and it might be after Christmas that I can solve this…

• Dmitry Katsubo
    Dmitry Katsubo
    2012-12-22

I have uploaded the contents of the clipboard to my dropbox: hopefully you can restore it.

• Dmitry Katsubo
    Dmitry Katsubo
    2012-12-22

I have uploaded the contents of the clipboard to my dropbox: hopefully you can restore it.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-12-29

Hi, it's the same with the file you placed on your dropbox… with it I have no problems opening the bitmap from the clipboard. Maybe it's an OS thing, although in this case I am not sure, but it works with 1.1.0.2399 with Vista (32 bit), Windows 7 (64 bit) and Windows 8 (64 bit). I have no XP to test this with.

But again I would like to point out that the greenshot.clp you uploaded doesn't look 100% like what you made a screenshot of… There is no palette in there! Just in case, did you try the file you uploaded yourself?

Damn, I would really like to fix this problem but when I don't get the error it's hard to do so!

• Dmitry Katsubo
    Dmitry Katsubo
    2013-01-02

Hi,

Sorry for double posting: I have accidentally refreshed the page after post.

Yes you're right: my initial screenshot was made for another clipboard data, but CLP contains similar input.

I have downloaded my own CLP and loaded it into InsideClipboard. Indeed CF_PALETTE is gone, perhaps that is bug in InsideClipboard. However I was able to paste the image into xnview directly afterwards, thus it's absence is not crucial. It has 0 length anyway.

I have Lotus only in WinXP x32, however I can try to load CLP on my home Win7 and paste it to xnview. Will report later.

• Dmitry Katsubo
    Dmitry Katsubo
    2013-01-02

I have made a try at home (Win7 x64): the loaded CLP was successfully imported into GreenShot! Now I am puzzled. I will play again with Win32.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-01-02

It could be Windows XP related, as Vista 32 bit doesn't have the problem.
    As I have no access to Windows XP it's hard to fix any problems with it.

Will have to see what microsoft changed… :(

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-01-02

Another possible cause is the .NET version! What version does your XP have?

• Dmitry Katsubo
    Dmitry Katsubo
    2013-01-03

One more round of testing on WinXP:

• When I load the clipboard from CLP file, it is imported OK into GreenShot.
    • When I put fresh data into clipboard (CF_PALETTE will be among others) by copying it from Lotus, it does not work.

.NET runtimes: 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1, 4 (Client Profile + Multi-Targeting Pack)

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-01-03

So it seems the clipboard application changes something, unfortunately I don't have Lotus Notes.
    Maybe I can find an application which does create a correct copy of the clipboard…
    Another thing which might help is some more log information, I'll build some additional information in the next unstable so we might pinpoint what Greenshot can't stomach.

• Dmitry Katsubo
    Dmitry Katsubo
    2013-01-03

Yes, more logging will help a lot. Looking forward for downloadable version: I will continue my experiments then.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-01-06

Just uploaded 1.1.0.2411, please try and let me know the results.
    If it doesn't work I want to see the logs.

• Dmitry Katsubo
    Dmitry Katsubo
    2013-01-07

Strange, I have enabled the TRACE level but there are only two records added to log file (after all others) when I do "right mouse click on tray icon → Open image from clipboard":

2013-01-07 16:29:46,259 [Greenshot] DEBUG - [Greenshot.Helpers.CaptureHelper] Capturing with mode Clipboard and using Cursor False
    2013-01-07 16:29:46,369 [Greenshot] DEBUG - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.WindowCapture] Capturing the mouse cursor.

This menu item is correctly enabled when there is some image data in clipboard, however still fails to import it.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-01-07

You installed 2411, and that's all? I would expect at least a bit more after that!
    Wierd!

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-01-07

Weird that is.

So I changed some more code for 1.1.0.2415, this should at least output a bit more and fix some small bugs.
    Sorry to keep you busy, but please try with the version I just uploaded!

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-01-08

Rather take 2421… I fixed a small bug which you might have gotten….

• Dmitry Katsubo
    Dmitry Katsubo
    2013-01-08

Ya, the fix does not add too much salt. Here goes the log:

2013-01-08 15:01:05,994 [Greenshot] DEBUG - [Greenshot.Helpers.CaptureHelper] Capturing with mode Clipboard and using Cursor False
    2013-01-08 15:01:06,244 [Greenshot] DEBUG - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.ClipboardHelper] Got clipboard formats: DeviceIndependentBitmap,System.Drawing.Bitmap,Bitmap,Palette,Notes Editor Internal,Format17
    2013-01-08 15:01:06,260 [Greenshot] DEBUG - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.ClipboardHelper] Couldn't find format PNG.
    2013-01-08 15:01:06,260 [Greenshot] DEBUG - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.ClipboardHelper] Couldn't find format JPG.
    2013-01-08 15:01:06,260 [Greenshot] DEBUG - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.ClipboardHelper] Couldn't find format TaggedImageFileFormat.
    2013-01-08 15:01:06,260 [Greenshot] INFO  - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.ClipboardHelper] Found DeviceIndependentBitmap, trying to retrieve.
    2013-01-08 15:01:06,306 [Greenshot] INFO  - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.ClipboardHelper] Found valid DIB stream, trying to process it.
    2013-01-08 15:01:06,322 [Greenshot] INFO  - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.ClipboardHelper] Skipping special DIB format reader for biCompression 0
    2013-01-08 15:01:06,322 [Greenshot] DEBUG - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.ClipboardHelper] Couldn't find format FileContents.
    2013-01-08 15:01:06,322 [Greenshot] INFO  - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.ClipboardHelper] Using default .NET Clipboard.GetImage()
    2013-01-08 15:01:06,744 [Greenshot] INFO  - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.ClipboardHelper] Clipboard.GetImage() didn't return an image.
    2013-01-08 15:01:06,744 [Greenshot] DEBUG - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.ClipboardHelper] Couldn't find format GIF.

No problem for me to test again and again: that is fun! More over I appreciate your efforts a lot, as I know how difficult is to catch bugs.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-01-09

This does help me a bit, the formats and the fact that the "DIB" (DeviceIndependentBitmap) has "biCompression 0" does help!

Don't know yet how but I will solve this! :)

• Dmitry Katsubo
    Dmitry Katsubo
    2013-01-09

I will be happy to re-test the next release. Hopefully log helped you to narrow the problematic place in the code.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)