Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Memory usage

Anonymous
2011-10-21
2013-01-30

• Anonymous
    2011-10-21

Greenshot is a very handle tool, we use it on our Terminal Server too, but it is very memory hungry. For each user it needs ~30MB memory. With about 100 Users it takes ~3GB of memory, only for running in background.
    Here a snapshot from a windows 2008 ts server:

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2011-10-21

Hello,

it's actually nice so see that it seems that using Greenshot from a Terminal Server works!
    I can't really imagine how people work with it, your users can only capture the software running in the session… Right?

Anyway about your question, I understand your worries!
    But please read the following on our Blog:
    http://getgreenshot.org/2010/07/24/a-few-words-on-memory-usage-or-working-set-vs-private-working-set/
    And have a look at the details, let us know if your assumption is really true!

If so, we should have a look, but for now I assume it only looks like it's "bad"

If you report back, please domspecify which version you are using!

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2011-10-21

"domspecify" should be "do specify"

• Bash
    Bash
    2011-12-07

Satisfactorily
    not all people are getting the problem, i just downloaded the same package and tried exactly what you did an on my task manager it is using 14MB running in the background.

• Bash
    Bash
    2011-12-07

Let windows do it's thing and ignore it unless there are some real issues with memory leaks or something. Otherwise, it's a good idea to just leave it alone.

• Bash
    Bash
    2011-12-07

This means that a memory leak in a program that only runs for a short time may not be noticed and is rarely serious. sp best you leave it alone.

• rovo13
    rovo13
    2013-01-29

I understand the memory ussage but... why is the private bytes into Greenshot 1.0.5 Build 2228 (32 bit) higher (mostly over 30mb) as the working set (shared memory)?

When I make a printscreen the private memory is allways over 21MB till waiting 15 min or more... then it decreases to 1.4mb.

can the decreases proccess be performed faster?

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-01-29

@rovo13:
    Please update to 1.0.6 if possible.
    And to answer your question, yes! There is an option in the expert tab, you will recognise it... It 'might' add a performance penalty, but you'll need to see this for yourself.

• rovo13
    rovo13
    2013-01-30

Hi Robin
    I have now installed 1.0.6 and also set under the expert tab "Minimize memory footprint, but with a performance penalty (not adviced)" but it doesn't help.
    have you another idea?
    regards