Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Clipboard image size

2007-08-21
2013-01-20
  • nomorecaddy
    nomorecaddy
    2007-08-21

This is an excellent tool! 

One question, I want to use greenshot to paste regions of a screenshot into emails (using Outlook).  This works fine, but when I interrogate the size of the pasted image, it's 1.4 Megabytes in size.  If I save the image to JPG file, it's 100 Kilobytes in size.

Is there any way to reduce the size of a pasted image for this purpose?

thanks!
    blue

• Jens Klingen
      Jens Klingen
      2007-10-09

Hi.

Sorry for leaving this unanswered for such a long time...
      Currently, the image is copied to the clipboard as bitmap, losless.
      I think it should be possible to copy it using JPEG compression.

We will evaluate this and eventually add an option in the settings dialog.

Thanks a lot :)

• nomorecaddy
      nomorecaddy
      2007-12-04

Thanks Jens,

Currently, I capture with Greenshot, add my elipses, etc.
      Then copy to the clipboard,
      Then paste into IrfanView, where I reduce the color depth,
      Then copy back to the clipboard,
      Then paste into my MS Outlook Email. 

If you had the reduce color depth feature, I could just eliminate a couple of steps.

thanks
      Blue

• S M
    S M
    2011-03-25

Hi. I also like Greenshot very much.  Using Version 0.8.0 Build 0627.  Going back to the original post in this thread (from 2007), I have the same issue. If I take a screen shot, hit copy in the Greenshot screen, and then paste it directly into my outlook email, the attachment  is 1MB.    However if I save the same screen shot, then attach it to my email, it's only 25kb.

Can anyone help explain what is happening, and more importantly, is there a way that my 'direct paste' can be under 100kb?

• M. S.
    M. S.
    2012-09-20

Hello, are there any upgrades or workarounds available regarding this topic?

• M. S.
    M. S.
    2012-09-20

One additional information: This annoying issue only occurs if you are using RTF as mail format in Outlook 2010.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-09-24

Hi,

Actually is pasting a bad thing, most of the time. For this reason I created the Office export functions, with the outlook export most issues should be gone.

Rich-Text is bad, pasted jpg and png images are changed to uncompressed BMP which makes the email huge!
    For now use HTML, I will check if other formats work better so Greenshot will use the optimal format depending on the email format.

Still, don't use the clipboard!

Best wishes,
    Robin