An instance of Greenshot is already running

Shaul
2012-08-22
2015-08-21
  • Shaul
    Shaul
    2012-08-22

Thank you for this excellent and useful application. I use it almost daily.  Here is a little problem:
    Whenever I start my computer I get a pop-up saying: An instance of Greenshot is already running followed by two lines:
    1: C:\Program Files\Greenshot\Greenshot.exe
    2: C:\Program Files\Greenshot\Greenshot.exe

Please tel me how to rid of this. Thank you!

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-08-22

Check your \Run key in your regedit.  Make sure Greenshot isn't in there twice:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You might check your Start/All Programs/Startup to make sure Greenshot didn't get in there as well.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-10-28

You might have Greenshot in your startup, and/or multiple times in the registry. This might have happened due to us switching from 32 to 64 bit and having entries in both areas of the registry.

But what you can do is install our RC5, which we uploaded yesterday, and go into the setting, uncheck the "start at windows startup" press ok. Than go back again, and you can select it again, press ok. All doubles "should" be removed…

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Jj4ssvYg
    Jj4ssvYg
    2012-12-28

I had the exact error in Windows 7 x64 Pro. I had to install from zip and run it in a different folder than the automatic setup method. Then I proceeded to uninstall the automatic setup installation. Avoid automatic setup install, stick with the zip.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-12-29

No, please don't stick to the zip!! With 1.0.6 most installation issues should be fixed, but if someone still has a very old version the unstaller of this version might forget to remove the entry in the start-menu. You can just delete this manually and you are good. (Start->All Programs->Auto Start)

There are some benefits of the installer, first it checks pre-requisites and it makes it possible to start Greenshot when starting your PC. Additionally we will register file types with 1.1 (we have our own) and it will optimize the performance of Greenshot. Besides the .zip can cause a lot of problems when people don't know what they are doing… e.g. copy Plugins from a different version.

• Byron
    Byron
    2013-01-22

I have experienced the same issue with Greenshot and found a solution to the error message:

"An instance of Greenshot is already running.
    1: C:\Program Files\Greenshot\Greenshot.exe"

Solution:
    Right-Click on the Greenshot.exe (found in the Start Menu/All Programs).
    Click on 'Properties' and Click on the 'Compatibility' tab.
    Under 'Compatibility Mode' select 'Run this program in compativility mode for:'.
    Click on the drop-down menu and select 'Windows Vista (Service Pack 2).
    Click 'OK'.

I hope this helps!

Last edit: Byron 2013-01-22
    • It worked! Thanks!

• I tried all the above but nothing worked. In the end I deleted Greenshot.exe.config from C:\Program Files\Greenshot. Now I can run the 64 bit executable without issue.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-03-06

Hi Joseph, I don't understand why deleting that file helped... Can you tell us how you came to that solution?

Also I wonder if this problem has anything to do with the .NET version(s) that are available, can someone who has this problem tell me what is installed on his system?

Best wishes,
    Robin

• This issue came up again in Win 7 x64, so my previous post isn't the answer. No running processes, no startup item for Greenshot in either the startup folder or msconfig, and the Greenshot.exe.config is gone as my previous post noted. I couldn't find Greenshot in the 'Add and Remove Programs' dialogue, which was strange. Ran unins000 manually from the install folder. Going to try the latest version.

• Ok, so the problem came up again after uninstalling, re-installing with the latest. I edited the Greenshot.exe.config rather blindly, and updated the following:

• <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

To:

• <?xml version="2.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

Strangely enough, I can repeat this issue by editing back to 1.0, problem goes away when I edit it to 2.0 again.

Last edit: Joseph Ridenhour 2013-03-26
  • I am simply amazed.
    The program ran for months until a recent Windows update (Win 7, 64 bit).
    Since then I had the same issue: no autostartup, no registry entry, just rebooted computer but I'd still get the error message.

The above solution (change the xml version to 2.0) actually works!
    I don't know if it's because of some MS runtime acting up or anything, but now I can use Greenshot again!

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2015-07-07

There is no such thing as a XML version 2.0, so I guess when you chance this the Greenshot.exe.config just isn't read as the file is not valid.

The question is, what version of Greenshot are you using?

• Phil
    Phil
    2015-07-11

I have the same error. To track down the cause I disabled all startup programs except Greenshot using MSCONFIG. I enabled one at a time restarting windows each time. In my case the Intel USB 3.0 monitor was conflicting with Greenshot. Reading several discussions about the Intel USB 3.0 monitor this is just one in a long list of problems it causes.

Hope this helps.

Last edit: Phil 2015-07-11
  • rmhansense
    rmhansense
    2015-08-06

I have been fighting this for a few weeks. I found the "solution" above when I changed the config file to reference XML 2 vs. XML1. Seemed to work for a while. I set Greenshot up to not load on startup to help prevent possible "already running". Now I get a new message saying thay my configuration has a side-by-side error and I need to start using sxstrace? How do I use this and what do I look for? In the meantime, I will start again......

I just did the following:
    Uninstalling Greenshot using their uninstall program. Success
    Installing again..1.2.6.7, added DropBox to defaults, no languages, start with Windows, start now
    Error message: An instance is already running.
    Changed config file doing 1.0 to 2.0. Saved the config file.
    Started from icon, starts up OK.
    Preferences: Changed from png to jpg
    No other changes, did no logoff or reboot.
    Is now installed, no errors ... will document as errors come up in next few days.....

Last edit: rmhansense 2015-08-06
    • rmhansense
      rmhansense
      2015-08-06

OK, about one hour later. I needed to Log Off/On. When I logged back on, the icon was not in the systray (setting is to show icon and notifications), and Greenshot is not showing up in Task Manager. The config file still has 2.0 for XML, Greenshot is supposed to be running because it is set in the RUN section of the registry. So, if it is running as intended, there is no sign of that in the systray or in the Task Manager. So, clicked on icon to run Greenshot and got the following error message (Cannot use Greenshot to capture this message box, aargh!):

========
      C:\Program Files\Greenshot\Greenshot.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line tool for more detail.

==========
      I found a log file in \Usrs\Name\AppData\Local\Greenshot\ folder, named Greenshot.log. I will try to attach to this posting. It has 218 lines dated today. A few lines with WARNINGS:

2015-08-06 14:34:40,677 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.Language] Fixing missing ietf in language-file C:\Program Files\Greenshot\Languages\Plugins\GreenshotExternalCommandPlugin\language_externalcommandplugin-zh-CN.xml
      2015-08-06 14:34:41,171 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.Language] Unknown language en, trying best match!
      2015-08-06 14:35:57,042 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.Language] Fixing missing ietf in language-file C:\Program Files\Greenshot\Languages\Plugins\GreenshotExternalCommandPlugin\language_externalcommandplugin-zh-CN.xml
      2015-08-06 14:35:57,061 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.Language] Unknown language en, trying best match!
      2015-08-06 14:40:56,983 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Problem requesting HTTP - HEAD on uri http://getgreenshot.org/project-feed/
      2015-08-06 14:40:56,983 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Configuration system failed to initialize
      2015-08-06 14:45:56,896 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Problem requesting HTTP - HEAD on uri http://getgreenshot.org/project-feed/
      2015-08-06 14:45:56,896 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Configuration system failed to initialize
      2015-08-06 14:50:56,902 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Problem requesting HTTP - HEAD on uri http://getgreenshot.org/project-feed/
      2015-08-06 14:50:56,902 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Configuration system failed to initialize
      2015-08-06 14:55:56,916 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Problem requesting HTTP - HEAD on uri http://getgreenshot.org/project-feed/
      2015-08-06 14:55:56,916 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Configuration system failed to initialize
      2015-08-06 15:00:56,913 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Problem requesting HTTP - HEAD on uri http://getgreenshot.org/project-feed/
      2015-08-06 15:00:56,913 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Configuration system failed to initialize
      2015-08-06 15:05:56,917 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Problem requesting HTTP - HEAD on uri http://getgreenshot.org/project-feed/
      2015-08-06 15:05:56,917 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Configuration system failed to initialize
      2015-08-06 15:10:56,927 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Problem requesting HTTP - HEAD on uri http://getgreenshot.org/project-feed/
      2015-08-06 15:10:56,927 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Configuration system failed to initialize
      2015-08-06 15:15:56,929 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Problem requesting HTTP - HEAD on uri http://getgreenshot.org/project-feed/
      2015-08-06 15:15:56,929 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Configuration system failed to initialize
      2015-08-06 15:20:56,935 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Problem requesting HTTP - HEAD on uri http://getgreenshot.org/project-feed/
      2015-08-06 15:20:56,935 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Configuration system failed to initialize

All other lines are INFO, but whole file should be attached here. Hope this helps, we need a solution. This is running 1.2.6.7 in a Windows 7 PRO. Cannot start Greenshot at all now. Will reinstall my older copy 1.1.7.17 to see if it still works like it did for the past years.

Last edit: rmhansense 2015-08-06
      Attachments
    • rmhansense
      rmhansense
      2015-08-06

Removed 1.2.6.7, installed 1.1.7.17, starts with Windows, add DropBox, installed OK
      Starting up gets message about already running.
      Edit config file to change XML from 1.0 to 2.0, starts up OK.
      Will see how this reacts to usage, logons, etc.

• rmhansense
        rmhansense
        2015-08-08

OK, got some more time to analyze this. Here is a log of my actions:

6:06 PM Friday, August 07, 2015
        Rebooted after Ingram meeting offsite
        Greenshot did not start with Windows, not in Task Manager, no icon on systray.
        Starting from icon... get side-by-side error. No Greenshot.
        No entries in Greenshot log after 8/6?

1:06 PM Saturday, August 08, 2015
        Stopped Greenshot from loading with Windows from registry\Run

Rebooted system. Greenshot not in Task Manager or icon (should not be)
        Starting Greenshot from icon. Get side-by-side ERROR.

Tried running Greenshot sxstrace.exe (with - and / in front). Cannot run, sxs ERROR.

Removed Greenshot. Installed 1.2.4.10, but not starting, not starting with Windows startup.
        Starting Greenshot sxstrace.exe from command window ... nothing, no message not in Task Manager

Starting Greenshot -sxstrace.exe from command window ... nothing, no message not in Task Manager

Starting Greenshot /sxstrace.exe from command window ... nothing, no message not in Task Manager

Starting Greenshot from command window ... ERROR message that GS is already running, not in Task Manager

Starting Greenshot sxstrace.exe from command window ... started, see icon, see in Task Manager.
        Only ERROR in log is last lines, cannot find file sxstrace.exe
        Searched for file. File is in C:\Windows\system32.
        Exited GS. Icon gone, not in Task Manager

Starting Greenshot c:\windows\system32\sxstrace.exe from command window ... started, see icon, see in Task Manager.
        ERROR message sxstrace.exe could not be opened?

Log entries start at line 118.  No errors until last line:
            2015-08-08 13:33:50,068 [Greenshot] ERROR - [Greenshot.Helpers.CaptureHelper] Parameter is not valid.
            System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
               at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData)
               at GreenshotPlugin.Core.ImageHelper.LoadImage(String filename)
               at Greenshot.Helpers.CaptureHelper.MakeCapture()

Exiting GS. ... icon gone, not in Task Manager.
        Starting GS from command line, is OK. See icon, in Task Manager.

Exiting GS. ... icon gone, not in Task Manager.
        Starting GS from Start Menu ucon, is OK. See icon, in Task Manager.
        New error in log when doing last start:
        2015-08-08 13:38:49,218 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Problem requesting HTTP - HEAD on uri http://getgreenshot.org/project-feed/
        2015-08-08 13:38:49,218 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Configuration system failed to initialize

Is this a possible FireWall problem?

Summary at this time:
        Using 1.2.4.10 with Windows 7 Pro.
        Need to install and configure to not start with Windows.
        Need to edit config file to change XML 1.0 to 2.0
        Seems to start and stop OK from icon or command line.

If configured to start with Windows, seems to cause the error message that Greenshot is already running, although it cannot be seen in Task Manager or on systray. Once that happens, future attempts to start Greenshot result in side-by-side error. I cannot find a way to run with the command sxstrace, when recognized, system says it cannot open the file.

Latest log is attached, seems to be having getting info from Greenshot site:
        2015-08-08 13:38:49,218 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Problem requesting HTTP - HEAD on uri http://getgreenshot.org/project-feed/
        2015-08-08 13:38:49,218 [Greenshot] WARN - [GreenshotPlugin.Core.NetworkHelper] Configuration system failed to initialize

So I wonder if this is some type of firewall issue?

Attachments
  • rmhansense
    rmhansense
    2015-08-21

Surprised there has been no followup in almost two weeks? Still keep getting message about "already running".

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2015-08-21

We actually have a bug-tracking system for errors, this is for discussions...

Anyway, let me repeat myself:
    Changing the XML version doesn't make sense, as there is no 2.0 XML specifications.
    What it probably does is prevent .NET from reading the configuration which might cause issues in starting Greenshot (maybe not start it at al) or run with certain options different as they where planed. In generall this is a bad idea, and doesn't make sense.

The HTTP HEAD Problems come from the problems that Sourceforge is having with their platform, Greenshot hasn't been able to check for updates. We should actually leave SF, they are causing us headaches.

So, back to the main issue...

Greenshot has logic which should prevent it from being started multiple times, which is important as Windows would not be able to deal with multiple hotkey registrations and besides why would you like multiple processes, trayicons etc :)

The technology used here is called a Mutex, which uses a unique ID so only Greenshot should "conflict" with Greenshot. The first Greenshot locks the mutex, the next will not be able to lock it and complains that another Greenshot is already running.

So, the Greenshot that complains tries to generate a list of all Greenshot processes that it can find.
    If you press OK, the newest process stops again, so if you would look in the process manager it would actually only show one process.

If the list has multple Greenshot processes, that there really are! They might have different paths, but it is not uncommon that Greenshot somehow is started 2 (or more) times. There are many reasons this might happen, but I have no idea why this happens to some people and not to others.

Anyway, you should really focus on finding out what is causing Greenshot to start multiple times. There are tools for checking your windows "startup" process. Try the process manager "Autostart" in the nwer windows versions, or msconfig (run command) for the older (see system start).

If there is only one Greenshot in the list (a single entry) we have a more problamatic issue, some process might (although VERY unlikely) be using the same Mutex ID... now for this I don't have a solution yet... but I am assuming you have two lines in your popup?

Best wishes,
    Robin