Default Option Change Suggestion for 1.0

Alan Jones
2012-09-12
2013-01-20
  • Alan Jones
    Alan Jones
    2012-09-12

I would like to suggest for the final 1.0 release the Destination "Open in image editor" be selected by default.  I think for most users that is something they expect.  I have installed the 1.0 RC series on several computers for friends recently.  They were all confused until i selected that option.  I can see having the option to turn it off for more experienced users but I think many would appreciated it being on by default for a new install.

thanks for a great program!!

Alan

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-09-12

Hi Alan,

I can understand that some people are a bit confused by the new destination picket, but on the other side if people don't see it they don't know it exist. We need to think about both sides of the story and find a way to make both happy.

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Alan Jones
    Alan Jones
    2012-09-12

i don't think having a default destination is a bad thing …. it brings up the nice Greenshot image Editor.   However not having a destination at all can also be confusing.

• Alan Jones
    Alan Jones
    2012-09-12

maybe  the install could ask about destinations during install?  That way a basic explanation could be giving and initial setting could be set.

• Jens Klingen
    Jens Klingen
    2012-09-12

Hi there,

One note: while RC1 was out, we realized that what was most confusing about the destination picker was the enormous number of menu items in it, because obviously most people used to install Greenshot with all preselected plugins, even though they do not need them. As a consequence, we changed the installer with RC2 only to have important plugins preselected. All the plugins for third party platforms are no longer selected by default. We found that this change makes the destination picker as well as the context menu a lot clearer.
    Have you tried the latest RC so far? (You might need to uninstall the previous version before to see the default options, AFAIK the installer takes the options of the current installation otherwise.)

By the way, a few days ago we have received the suggestion to have "Copy to clipboard" as default destination, the requester assumed that most people expected that behavior. Seeing that different people have different expectations might commend that displaying the destination picker isn't that bad… after all, it's not "not having a destination" but rather "having the choice between all destinations".

Whichever way, we should probably think about how to make it more obvious to first time users that the destination can be configured… but I rather would not have an additional step in the setup or first-start process…

Best regards and thanks for your feedback,
    Jens :)