Feature request: Eraser

Joopy
2011-10-28
2013-01-20
  • Joopy
    Joopy
    2011-10-28

I use this great tool quite often for my guideline documents and presentations.

The only function I miss is an eraser to get rid of graphics caught in the windows.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2011-10-28

Hello

good to hear you like Greenshot!

Could you describe in detail how you would want the eraser to function?

Best wishes,
    Robin

• tom corcoran
    tom corcoran
    2012-08-28

I love Greenshot, happy the undo functionality was added. I like the obfuscator, very cool. But I am really missing an eraser. I like the way it's done in other tools, e.g. with http://www.picpick.org you can just start erasing bits of the image once selected. Is there a plan to add an eraser?

• T1Ta
    T1Ta
    2012-11-11

I second this request ! Would be nice to have a pencil icon with a big eraser tip - click on the icon - hold the left mouse button and move the mouse across the part of the graphic that you want to erase. Thanks.

• Jens Klingen
    Jens Klingen
    2012-11-13

Hi everybody,

Can you explain which behavior exactly you expect when you are speaking of "erasing"?
    "Replace with transparency" is probably not what you want…
    "Replace with a chosen color"? This would be exactly what the freehand tool does. (Actually painting over the screenshot.) Of course you could also erase complete areas e.g. using a filled rectangle.
    If you expect Greenshot to somehow "guess" the right color, it would probably be a little bit more complicated to develop and maybe confusing in some cases…

Thanks and best regards,
    Jens :)

• tom corcoran
    tom corcoran
    2012-11-16

Ok, thanks for asking! Grabbing the eraser and just rubbing out bits, leaving white underneath was the functionality I have seen in others that I like. I have always wanted to be able to select an adjacent colour and have that replace the white space rubbed out so the eraser work is seamless. But I have never that done, that would be uber cool. Would you need to guess the colour if the user selected an adjacent colour? Good luck :-)

• Jens Klingen
    Jens Klingen
    2012-11-17

Thanks for clarification :) Actually you can work around this, by drawing a white (or whichever color the background is) freehand line, rectangle, … the color picker even offers a pipette tool for picking up a color from anywhere.
    However, if used often, this is a bit cumbersome (as you always have to reset line thickness/color before being able to actually draw again with the tool).
    I have added a feature request in our tracker: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3588153&group_id=191585&atid=937975

Thanks for your input, best regards,
    Jens :)