Greenshot 1.0 Series Slower

Alan Jones
2012-06-10
2013-01-20
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Alan Jones
    Alan Jones
    2012-06-10

I am not using the absolute  most recent version of the 1.0 series of Greenshot but started realizing that after going to 1.0  that it was slower to appear after selecting a screen shot area.  In the older version pre 1.0 I could select an area for screen shot then it would quickly appear on the screen.  Now it seems slower for Greenshot to load with the image. 

Is this a known issue or just me?  Anything special to check or report on related to this?

thanks

Alan

• Ruud Boek
    Ruud Boek
    2012-06-11

Yes same here, it takes a long time before the greenshot editor pops up after taking a screenshot. I experience this since version 1.0

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-06-11

Hi,

Can you give me more informationa? Especially:
    1) destination? Directly to the editor or are you using the destination picker? Or maybe even multiple?
    2) any notifications activated? Camera sound?
    3) does it happen after every capture?
    4) are you using many applications?
    5) how much slower?

Best wishes,
    Robin

3)

• Alan Jones
    Alan Jones
    2012-06-12

1. Destination is directly to the editor….. nothing else.
    2. No Camera Sound,  Capture Mouse Pointer, Editor Matches Capture size
    3.  Seems to happen after every capture
    4.  Seem slow with few or many applications….
    5.  Hard to quantify slow.

basically the editor seems slower to pop up with the image than it did in the old .8.1 series…

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-06-12

Hi Alan,

this will help me a lot! I have found some issues with some changes I made to Greenshot which make the development a lot easier but might slow down the opening a bit. Am working on that first… Never profiled Greenshot, was definitely due!

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-06-13

Hi,

could you please check with 1.0.0.1922 if it has gotten better?
    I noticed we actually do a lot when opening the editor, for all the destinations you now have Greenshot has to do some checks… I tried to optimize the Editor opening code and also use a background Thread to update the file menu and buttons.

But I am biased, so need some objective test! :)

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Alan Jones
    Alan Jones
    2012-06-14

I have been playing with 1.0.0.1922 and it does seem much faster from the point of taking the screen shot to displaying it.  I had one or two times where it seemed slower but I think it was my computer.  I am not sure it is as fast as the old .8.x series or not but the speed is improved and much appreciated.

• Anonymous
    2012-06-14

Somethings not quite right - I just installed 1922 with PrtScrn defined as the hotkey for region capture. The firsat time I press PrtScrn, I get the curson crosshair. If I escape out of that and press PrntScrn again, it ignores the keypress. I have to go into Preferences, quit out of that, then the key is armed again.

This is repeatable on a Win 7 32 system.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-06-14

Damn, will look at this tomorrow. Thank you for reporting.

I made some changes which might have caused this, the change was needed to allow people to capture the settings screen of Greenshot…

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-06-15

Weird, I currently can't reproduce the hotkey issue…

• Alan Jones
    Alan Jones
    2012-06-15

I can't reproduce it either in the 1922 build

• Alan Jones
    Alan Jones
    2012-06-15

I am noticing is that after reboot the first screen shot to appear in the Editor still very slow. to load.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-06-15

Hi Alan,

The thing is: there is more functionality in the editor (1.0 vs 0.8), when opening the editor a lot of addtional (compared to 0.8) "information" is collected and we made the way we display our translations a bit different (saving us time in the development process). I guess together it was a bit much..

With 1922 at the first open after the start of Greenshot certain things are "cached" for subsequent calls, this means I still need to actually "do" these things. I will see if I can do this at startup, but it more or less involves "opening" the editor window… If this is complex, I will postpone this to 1.1 which should not be long behind 1.0

1.1 will have a magnifier… and currently I am working on scripting possibilities. (Using Greenshot functionality in other "applications")

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Anonymous
    2012-06-15

I'm sorry - I know I was able to reproduce this yesterday at will, but today it is working fine.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-06-15

No problem, just keep an eye out if it happens again!

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-10-28

Can you have a look at the RC5? Should perform a lot better!

• Ruud Boek
    Ruud Boek
    2012-11-01

Yes! I can confirm that RC5 performs a lot better. It is actually fast now.
    Also, when i leave my pc alone for a while and then hit printscreen, greenshot immediately pops up.
    Before  RC5 that took way too long.
    Great job!

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-11-01

Great,

Actually we just released 1.0final (1.0.6 last monday) make sure you upgrade!

• Ruud Boek
    Ruud Boek
    2012-11-01

Thanks Apex75, i think i already did! I tested with the 1.0.6, so not RC5, but the final.

• Ruud Boek
    Ruud Boek
    2012-11-01

Can't wait for version 1.1 with the magnifier by the way. I am very much looking forward to that feature.

• Johan Heyvaert
    Johan Heyvaert
    2012-11-19

Version 1.0.6 (64 bit version) still is slow on my computer (a powerful desktop). When you press the print screen (with or without ALT), it takes a few seconds before the crosshair shows.

Also, it seems like Greenshot suffers from a serious memory leak. I've just had to shut (shoot?) it down because the memory usage had grown to 2 Gigabytes of RAM!! And I wasn't even using it.

I'm using the same settings as the poster of this topic (No Camera Sound,  Capture Mouse Pointer, Editor Matches Capture size) and didn't install any of the new plugins (like MS Office & Picasa integration).
    (FYI I almost never restart my computer and leave it running at night)

I love Greenshot, so I hope you can get this fixed. Good luck!

• Johan Heyvaert
    Johan Heyvaert
    2012-11-19

Update: after a fresh restart of Greenshot, it indeed is fast. So probably the only problem is a memory leak, which slows it down after some time / usage?

I don't do anything special with Greenshot. Just print screen commands (using the print screen key of my keyboard, sometimes combined with ALT). And sometimes I add some rectangles, text and arrows with the editor, but that's it.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-11-19

Hi,

Can you double check if the version you installed is indeed 1.0.6, just in case…
    Do you have the editor as default destination, or do you use the destination picker?
    What do you do with the capture after you opened it in the editor?

In the expert tab of the settings there is a setting which should reduce memory, please check if the behavior changes if you check this.

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Johan Heyvaert
    Johan Heyvaert
    2012-11-20

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply.

My version is certainly 1.0.6 (build 2228, 64 bit) (I'm reading this from the About window).
    I use the destination picker but I'd better bypass this as I always end up with the editor anyway.
    After capturing I frequently just close the editor (as the screenshot is automatically copied to the clipboard) but sometimes I add some objects like rectangles, arrows and text.

I've activated the "minize memory footprint" now, we'll see if this changes something. For now it doesn't look to be slower, so that's already good..

Kind regards,
    Johan

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-11-20

Hi Johan,
    what do you mean with "as the screenshot is automatically copied to the clipboard"? When using the destination picker this is not the case when you select the editor.

Some questions:
    1) What clipboard formats are active?
    2) What do you usually do with the editor, only rectangles, arrows and text or do you use other things?
    3) How do you capture, do you use the region capture or what?

If the memory usage with the "Minimize memory footprint" is still going up, than we have a memory leak.

Best wishes,
    Robin

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)