Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Copy to clipboard does not seem to work

Jon Canale
2013-02-08
2014-03-28
  • Jon Canale
    Jon Canale
    2013-02-08

I searched and found some old discussion of this topic, but nothing recent. Nothing in bugs, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

For 1.1.0 b2464 and several beta's previously, on WinXPPro sp3, with dynamic destination set, Copy to Clipboard indicates that the screenshot went to the clipboard, but nothing happens when I try to paste the clipboard into Outlook 2003 or i-view, or Paintbrush Pro. If I select copy to i_view, then copy from there to another application, it works fine. Has nothing to do with having the "copy IEexplorer" box checked or not - doesn't matter. Same problem with non-IE screen shots.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-02-08

Hi, maybe you changed something on the expert tab? What clipboard settings are currently set?

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Jon Canale
      Jon Canale
      2013-02-10

I had tried something in the expert tab, but it had no affect. So it's been unchecked, ie, Greenshot is deciding the format, for some time now.

In addition, Windows capture mode is "Automatically", and I've tried with "Internet Explorer capture" both checked and unchecked with no difference noted. Also, it doesn't matter if I'm trying to capture an ie screen or not.

I just tried copying both ie and non-ie window to the clipboard. Greenshot says it captured the region, but ctrl-v in i_view does nothing. I launched Word 2003, and again ctrl-v did nothing. But I tried Paste Special from the Edit menu, and there was some png info to paste, so I used that and there was the region I just sent to the clipboard. So something is there, but it's not pasting with ctrl-v, and neither of my paint programs see it.

Sorry for the ramble...

• Jon Canale
    Jon Canale
    2013-02-10

Just tried something else. Clicked "I know what I'm doing" in expert task, and found that only the "png" image was checked. So I checked all but the HTML with inline images and then unchecked the expert mode. Guess what, now it works!

I had assumed that unchecking the expert mode would set the program back to default Greenshot control. I guess it doesn't do this. It leaves whatever was set when working in expert mode. Is this how it's intended to be? What clipboard formats should be checked for normal operation?

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-02-11

The clipboard is an instrument of mass destruction! It destroys our images and is the worst way of transporting them.

That said... The point is that there is no normal operation, the idea is to place so many formats on it that every applications has something it can work with. Unfortunately a lot of applications take the wrong (read worst) format which usually is the biggest and without transparency...

In other words, it depends on the applications you are using.

But in generall it doesn't hurt to have all checked, except the HTML with inline as a lot of applications don't know what to do with it. As you have it set to...

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-02-11

I'll see what I can write for our FAQ and what I can do to prevent wrong settings.

• Jon Canale
    Jon Canale
    2013-02-12

Thanks. I like that - "The clipboard is an instrument of mass destruction!" So I'll check everything except HTML with inline images.

• racassel
    racassel
    2014-03-28

Hello, its strange that on some systems it works fine, and others not at all. I try to paste from clipboard to paint or Outlook and get nothing. Try to paste to paint, nothing. Fuss with the settings... nothing..... But on some systems, do nothing and it works with everything, including RDP. Now, I can send directly to Outlook and directly to paint with no problems on any system. Weird.
    This is with V1.1.7 Build 17 64 bit. Windows 8 Pro... Fix this and I will send money :) Love the program otherwise.

My work around... copy to clipboard - paste to msWord, copy to clipboard, paste to anywhere I want.... Everything selected except html inline

Last edit: racassel 2014-03-29