Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

OCR Plugin in RC4

Jon Canale
2012-10-22
2013-01-20
  • Jon Canale
    Jon Canale
    2012-10-22

I see that the OCR plugin operation has been changed in RC4.  Sorry, but I liked the way it worked in RC2 much better.  I liked the ability to select OCR by left-clicking the taskbar icon as I needed the function.  In RC4 I have to go into Preferences > Destination and check OCR, or go to Quick Preferences and slide over to Destination and then click OCR.

Is there a way to bring back the previous operation in the ini file??

Great plugin - I've been using it for several months - very handy!

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-10-22

Hi,

I guess you don't use/like our dynamic destination picker?
    Currently this is not possible, I had some small problems and while making OCR work with Windows in 64bit, I found it easier to remove the hotkey/menu entry.
    Will bring it back in RC5, at least until we make all actions completely configurable.

P.s.
    Thank you for your feedback.

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-10-22

Can you please write why don't use the dynamic destination picker? This makes it possible to use whatever capture input, and pass it to the ocr destination.

• Jon Canale
    Jon Canale
    2012-10-22

I'm sorry!  I didn't spot that functionality!  I can live with that - I just tried it - that will do the job nicely!

I'm sorry to have bothered you - I just chalked one up in the "user didn't read documentation" column.

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-10-22

Don't be sorry, we really like feedback!! This usually means we should really write some FAQ's and other tips/hints.

Do you think it's better like that, because it doesn't force you to think about what key to use or where the context menu entry is?

P.S.
    Most people don't know what nice hidden features Greenshot has!! :)

• Jon Canale
    Jon Canale
    2012-10-23

I think it's mostly better.  But one thing I liked from before that my default save to a directory "stuck" no matter what other option I picked.  With the dynamic picker, if I select "Save directly", then nothing goes to the clipboard.  I guess I'd like to still have a couple of default actions to select, but then still have the dynamic picker allow me to do an alternate operation on the fly.  Maybe that's asking too much, as I can definitely live with the dynamic picker.  (And now you're going to tell me that it is already possible!)

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2012-10-23

I understand your need… Possible? Yes, sort of, but only by changing the configuration manually and I don't even know if it works. So the answer is rather "no"

But this will be possible in the future, we like to make it possible for the user to configure actions (will call it flows) and the triggering hotkey themselves. So you could configure the hotkey printscreen to capture the current window, add shadow, remove cursor, resize, and save + ocr… Something like that… Will not be soon through… :-(