New Fogbugz Plugin!

2014-07-10
2014-07-11
  • Pieter Venter
    Pieter Venter
    2014-07-10

There is a new plugin for Greenshot to support FogBugz

https://bitbucket.org/dodgyrabbit/greenshotfogbugzplugin/overview

Currently only English support but if there is a strong desire multi-language support can be added. Works for On Demand (i.e. hosted by FogBugz) accounts.

Cheers!

• Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2014-07-10

Hey Peter,

that is really cool!!
    I have no experience with FogBugz, but the "demo" looks very promising.
    How is it with upgrades, if the FogBugz version changes?
    Are there multiple versions around, and do they behave differently?

We should discuss how we integrate your plug-in in Greenshot later.
    You should consider, if and how you want to supply the plug-in to others.
    Keep it in your BitBucket downloads, supply it with Greenshot itself or...?

We can, if you allow us, also write a blog post with some information and a link to your repository.

We might be able to supply you with translations, but currently Jens (our translation "manager" is on holidays)

Just let us know, how you would like to proceed.

Just so you know, you might have noticed (or not) that we are working hard on changing Greenshot. The master branch (currently, we might change this) has code for Greenshot 2. This is supposed to be a complete rewrite of Greenshot, everything is changed and we will use different technologies (.NET 4.5, Managed Extension Framework (MEF), async code etc). With it, it should be a LOT easier to write a plug-in (or rather add-on/extension). Currently there is no need to look at the code, everything is VERY volatile. But as soon as things stabilize I will supply you with a pull-request with some changes... So your plugin will work in Greenshot 2, Ok?

We are also considering a different ways of working with plug-ins, and how they come to Greenshot. This might "affect" you, but currently this is just something we are looking at. As soon as things become more stable, or certain, we will email or blog about it.

Thanks for supporting the Greenshot community ;-)

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Pieter Venter
      Pieter Venter
      2014-07-11

How is it with upgrades, if the FogBugz version changes?

They have been very good with keeping their API compatible. My plugin uses a form post method - which is the same approach their Screenshot app uses - so pretty much guaranteed this method will continue to work.

Are there multiple versions around, and do they behave differently?

We've been using the on-demand version, so we're always on the latest. They have tweaked the UI etc but generally have been very good to keep the app consistent with previous versions.

You should consider, if and how you want to supply the plug-in to others.

Supplying it with Greenshot would be awesome.

We can, if you allow us, also write a blog post with some information and a link to your repository.

No problem. I can help too.

We might be able to supply you with translations

I need to first pull all the text into resources like the other plugins. Once that's done we could get others to help.

has code for Greenshot 2

Yes, I had a look. I really like the numbered bubbles. Time saver! I did notice the Plugin menu was missing and figured it's probably incompatible with current ones.

I will supply you with a pull-request

Cool - would like to see how it works in V2.0

Please note there are two other implementations I'm aware of:
      a. https://github.com/Rohland/Fogshot
      This one has not been maintained and does not work with latest Greenshot.

b. https://github.com/adutton/greenshot-fogbugz-plugin/
      This one is about a year old and seems to work. The resources did not seem to work for me though.

Mine takes a unique approach though - which I think works best for capturing cases in FogBugz. Works the same as the native application that ships with FogBugz which I think is the best workflow. Their native application is just way to basic and you need the power of Greenshot to properly annotate screenshots.

Cheers!
      Pieter.

Last edit: Pieter Venter 2014-07-11