Select All not working in v1.1.2437 portable

2013-01-26
2013-01-28
  • Brittney Smith
    Brittney Smith
    2013-01-26

In Vista x64, can't get GS portable "select all" to work correctly - or at all, really.

After capture w/ prt screen - for a region or do a capture full window, if try to select all, a small image (area) of 6 dots appears (about 3/4 in. sq.). The dots can be dragged, but that's not the way to select all. Hitting keys Ctrl +A does NOT outline the entire capture (as other prgms typically outline an image w/ dotted line or color entire selected image / doc); nor does using select all from menu.

After selecting all one time (& the small square of 6 dots appears) if hit escape or click somewhere else, it (6 dots) disappears. Subsequent attempts to Select All on the same image does nothing.

Under that scenario, using Ctrl + A or Select All from menu, doesn't enable Delete in the menu. The only way then to delete an object is close the window.

I take it GS has no ability just to drag a selection rectangle over a capture, then delete selected area?
    That seems like a pretty basic function - select a region & delete it.

Last edit: Brittney Smith 2013-01-26
  • Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-01-26

Some programs work different as others. Greenshot is for screenshot capture and annotations of it, not an image editor like Paint.NET
    Ctrl+A selects ALL elements on the capture, which is normally the cursor or anything else you draw on it.
    I don't know why it shows 6 dots, I would have expected 4... (Top left, right, bottom left, right).

If you move one of the dots, what happens? This should resize the cursor... Or what?

• Brittney Smith
    Brittney Smith
    2013-01-27

I don't know what happens (or what one could do) after dragging the 6 dots. After trying again to get it to appear by using Ctrl + A and / or menu, it didn't appear this time. But, no - I didn't think the cursor was in the capture, the time it did appear, but maybe it was. I see now that Select All selects all added objects.

If you have added objects & select all, you can drag borders of any / all the objects, one by one - w/o having to select each individually.

Don't think the dots appear, unless have added objects. Many screen capture prgms w/ good editing of the screen capture are no where near Paint.net. Hinting that "Select All" of the screen or just select a region / cut function as something only found in programs like paint.net is a bit silly.

It just hasn't made it into GS, yet. Just about any prgm that has any selection capability at all can select a region & delete it. That seems like one of the 1st functions that would've been added. Goes back to my earlier post, that there's no way to clear the screen w/o closing the editor.

• Jens Klingen
    Jens Klingen
    2013-01-27

Brittany, we're doing Greenshot for nearly six years know, collecting user feedback ever since. From all the feedback we got since then I estimate that 99% of the use cases are like this: 1. Create a screenshot, 2. add something to the screenshot, 3. export the screenshot to anything or anyone else. (4. Do not ever touch it again.)

From my point of view, features like re-opening edited screenshots, creating empty documents, etc. are rather bonus features of a screenshot program, than first functions to add. (Obviously, first function to add was creating screenshots.)
    I do not doubt that stuff like this is useful, but it's not as important for the majority of users as it is for you.

You seem to require more advanced editing features than others, have you thought about using Greenshot's external command plugin to send the screenshot e.g. to Inkscape for editing? It's quite easy to set up. I'll publish a blog post about the external command plugin later.

• Brittney Smith
    Brittney Smith
    2013-01-27

No, I hadn't thought about exporting to Inkscape or other editors. I don't know that I've used Inkscape (or been a long time).

GS is good for exactly what you describe, & I often use screen captures that way, w/ little editing. I much prefer supporting open source software, which is why I'm posting here in general - to hopefully provide good input.

But again, if I only want / need a simpler screen capture - most of the time & even leave it open in system tray, why allocate over * 2X * the memory for it, compared to some more complex prgms - even though I don't need their complexity most of the time?

Lightweight, simpler prgms are usually expected to take considerably less resources than complex cousins.

• Jens Klingen
    Jens Klingen
    2013-01-28

Hey, you're mixing up topics, the memory thread is next door ;-)

You might want to try the external command plugin, we have just published a blog post about it here: http://getgreenshot.org/2013/01/28/how-to-use-the-external-command-plugin-to-send-screenshots-to-other-applications/

Anyway, if this piece of software does not meet your expectations/requirements, maybe it simply is not the right piece of software for you? Different users have different needs, there's no tool to adress all of them in an ideal way.