Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Slow response to printscreen

Anonymous
2011-01-10
2013-02-20

• Anonymous
    2011-01-10

Hi ,
    I am using Greenshot version 0.8.0 Build 0627.  Running on Windows XP Pro SP3 (32 bit), PC Intel Xeon, W3580 @3.33HHz, 3.6GB RAM. I am using three 19 inch HP displays @ 1280x1024 each.  (NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295).

My problem is that the Greenshot takes 6-7 seconds to respond after pressing the printScreen button for the region select cursor to appear. Not a big issue, but if this can be resolved or any workarounds available, Much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Simon

• Andrey Simonov
    Andrey Simonov
    2013-01-21

Hello,

I have the same problem with Greenshot 0.8.0 build 0627. My system is similar. Win XP Pro SP3 32bit, Dell Precision T5500: Intel Xeon E5603, 4 Gb RAM, 3 x 19" displays on 2 x nVidia Quadro NVS 295.

I've got a 6-7 second delay after making the actual screen print. The problem seemed to have resolved itself at some point (probably after I updated my display drivers), but I had to roll the drivers back (to 190.38) because of other issues.

I'm thinking of using another tool, because Greenshot because almost unusable.

If you have any workaround please let me know, Greenshot has been great for the last year I've used it. I will get the latest GH version in the meantime.

Thank you.

Last edit: Andrey Simonov 2013-01-21
  • Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-01-21

Hi,

We release Greenshot 1.0 months ago, please try this and let us know if this fixes your problem.

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Andrey Simonov
    Andrey Simonov
    2013-01-22

Hi Robin,

Installing 1.0.6 build 2228 did not solve the problem. Still have 7 second delay after pressing Print Screen. Alt-printscreen seems to have no delay now however.

Andrey

Last edit: Andrey Simonov 2013-01-22
  • mochos
    mochos
    2013-01-29

Hi all,

I had the exact same problem on my Win XP Pro SP3 computer - just that it was about 3.5 seconds rather than 6-7. In my case updating the video adapter driver did the job (nVidia Quadro NVS 295). Now Greenshot responds instantly to a PrintScreen press.

Possibly valuable info for developers:
    After pressing PrintScreen I have checked my Greenshot's activity (before updating the driver) with Process Monitor (part of Sysinternals) and it showed that there was a 3.5 sec delay between actions "Thread Exit" and "Open Query". Hope this info is of any value as far as debugging is concerned.

Regards,
    Piotr

• Andrey Simonov
    Andrey Simonov
    2013-01-31

Unfortunately, I cannot install the latest nVidia drivers, because they are rather buggy: windows start jumping from one screen to another.

The delay is 5 seconds, computer freezes for that time.

I am happy any possible help with debugging - WebEx, etc.

Last edit: Andrey Simonov 2013-01-31
  • Robin Krom
    Robin Krom
    2013-01-31

Hi Andrey,
    Can you test with 1.1, if I want to help you I'll need to know if the problem still happens. Also I need to know if the problem still happens if you do a window capture with the window capture mode set to "as displayed", so I can rule put some parts of the capture code.

You can find the latest 1.1, this is still in development, under http://getgreenshot.org/version-history

Let me know how it works!

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Andrey Simonov
    Andrey Simonov
    2013-02-04

Hi Robin,

I've tried with 1.1.0.2454, it's the same thing: delay occurs only on Capture Region, just after clicking Print Screen. Capture Window seems to be OK.

"As displayed" setting did not change anything.

Also please note that latest nVidia drivers fixed it last time, but I cannot use them because they are buggy.

• Andrey Simonov
    Andrey Simonov
    2013-02-19

Hi Robin,

Any updates on that?

I've opened a ticket with nVidia so they could fix another bug in their drivers, so I could migrate to the new ones, since Greenshot works well then.

I actually was trying other tools, like ZScreen and SnagIt, but they all are rubbish compared to how simple and effective Greenshot is...

Thank you.

• JoernH
    JoernH
    2013-02-20

I fixed this problem by installing the latest nVidia drivers