Install Issue

2009-02-12
2013-04-29
  • I am trying to install Green on Eclipse.  If I try to unzip the download, or use the Software Update feature in Eclipse help, I get the following types of errors:

The filename or extension is too long.

Unable to create directory: C:/Documents and Settings/jlangfeldt/My Documents/eclipse/Green/greenExtract/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.zest.source_1.0.0.v20080115-5308xB5CE899O2A3213573/src/org.eclipse/zest/layouts_1.0.0v20080226/src/org/eclipse/zest/layouts/algorithms/internal

Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you,
    Jeanne

• Jonathan White
      Jonathan White
      2009-05-17

Not exactly sure but seems like you are trying to unzip the jar file.  The jar file should be executable on you machine.  Have not downloaded this plug-in yet will get back to you when I have tried it.

• Dan Padgett
      Dan Padgett
      2009-05-17

The problem is that you installed eclipse in a directory whose pathname is too long - eclipse needs to install certain package dependencies when it installs green, one of which has that path name.  However, Windows has a maximum path length (255 characters I think?), which eclipse can't work around.  You should be able to fix this by moving your eclipse installation to a higher level directory, ie, C:\Program Files.