Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Export Format

Help
Furthest
2007-09-06
2013-05-14
  • Furthest
    Furthest
    2007-09-06

I am working on setting up a linux box so that I try this, but in the meantime I am hoping someone can tell me if this is possible...

I am looking to export recipes into a format, that can be imported into excel, before being exported as csv so that I can import into my CMS. Essentially, I need to get the title, ingredients, directions, serving, etc. into their own cell.

• tom
      tom
      2007-09-06

CSV would be a strange export file since having i.e. instructions in an excel cell would look odd. That said, it's an obvious format to use for database. One CSV file wouldn't cut it since there's more than one table -- you'd need at least a recipe table and an ingredients table.

You could of course export ingredients as plain text -- you'd lose all the metadata that way. It would be pretty easy to write your own custom export module to create csv. You could also consider transforming the XML output into csv, though that would be somewhat tricky.

• Furthest
      Furthest
      2007-09-06

Thomas, thanks for the feedback.

I understand what you saying, as the one to many relationship (1 recipe, many ingredients) is not possible in a one csv file. What I have done recently was to export from a dbf db into two excel worksheets, recipes and ingredients, then merge the two based one the recipe id. When exporting the recipe table, how are the directions formated?