Help
Bo Garner
2009-01-28
2013-05-14
  • Bo Garner
    Bo Garner
    2009-01-28

I am using ubuntu intrepid 64-bit.

I installed this program using the setup.py command. Now when I run it I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/usr/bin/gourmet", line 13, in <module>
        from gourmet.OptionParser import *
        File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/__init__.py", line 14, in <module>
        import keymanager
        File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/keymanager.py", line 3, in <module>
        from defaults import langProperties as langProperties
        ImportError: cannot import name langProperties

I tried removing and reinstalling the old version from the repository but it didn't work.

Any help is appreciated.

• I'm having the exact same problem.

mark@Lexington-19:~$ gourmet
      Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/gourmet", line 13, in <module>
      from gourmet.OptionParser import *
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/__init__.py", line 14, in <module>
      import keymanager
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/keymanager.py", line 3, in <module>
      from defaults import langProperties as langProperties
      ImportError: cannot import name langProperties

and GRM isn't found in the drop down menus, not at Accessories (it's new place) and not at Other.

• tom
        tom
        2009-01-28

Puzzling. I can't reproduce the error. Are you sure installation is succeeding and are you sure you've cleared out old installations before trying?

Also, can you reproduce with the just-released 0.14.4?

• Bo Garner
      Bo Garner
      2009-01-29

How do uninstall  or clear out previous versions installed using the "python setup.py" command?

I tried installing the new version. Here is the output:

Merging translations into gourmet.desktop.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/python_shell.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/browse_plugin.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/key_editor.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/duplicate_finder.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/nutritional_information.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/email.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/unit_converter.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/field_editor.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/import_export/html.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/import_export/mastercook_plugin.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/import_export/website_import.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/import_export/archive.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/import_export/mealmaster.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/import_export/webimport.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/import_export/gxml.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/import_export/krecipe_plugin.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/import_export/plaintext.gourmet-plugin.
      Merging translations into src/lib/plugins/import_export/pdf.gourmet-plugin.
      usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
         or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
         or: setup.py --help-commands
         or: setup.py cmd --help

error: no commands supplied
      natibo@natibo:~/Software/gourmet-0.14.4$

When I run the "gourmet" command I get the same error as before.

• tom
        tom
        2009-02-03

Alas, python distutils provide no uninstall tools. The line I use in my testing scripts to clear out a tarball install is:

sudo rm -rf /usr/share/gourmet/ /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/

That's not perfect, because it doesn't clear out i18n files and pixmaps, but it's good enough to prevent any conflicts with code etc.

python2.5 above assumes that's your standard python -- you might have to change it depending. If you're not sure what your version is, you could just do...

sudo rm -rf /usr/share/gourmet/ /usr/lib/python*/site-packages/gourmet/

Obviously be very careful with these commands (I recommend just copying and pasting the above). If you were to leave off the "gourmet" in the above, for example, you would completely hose your system for all programs, not just Gourmet.

• Bo Garner
      Bo Garner
      2009-02-04

That worked.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!