Old Gourmet Version That Handles .mk files?

Help
john
2012-03-30
2013-05-14
  • john
    john
    2012-03-30

I used gourmet successfully with Windows 7 with the odd crash.  My Gourmet program version handled the .mk file extension.  I kept a copy of Gourmet on my back up drive, but it was lost in a crash.  The latest file versions will not convert .mk files.  I'm hoping to get an older version and convert the files manually in to the executable version.  It might take awhile, but there's some nice recipes that I no longer have access to!

• tom
    tom
    2012-03-30

Sourceforge still has all the old files, so you should be able to go back through all the versions of Gourmet until you get to the old one that used metakit. If you look through changelogs either w/ the files or in the source code, you should be able to find it. It looks like the metakit transition happened some time in 2006-2007 if that helps.

• john
    john
    2012-03-30

Thank you.  Could you provide a link to the files?

• john
    john
    2012-03-30

I have hunted high and low and only found the latest url.  Tried all of these.  None works as they are in the new format.  Could one convert the an mk file to work with the new installers?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/grecipe-manager/files/

• tom
    tom
    2012-03-31

When I initially made the metakit->sql conversion, Gourmet did handle the upgrade. The trouble is that metakit is far from standard, so to keep the upgrade code functional in new releases would have required continuing to package the metakit library, which was a pain.

This version may well work for you: https://sourceforge.net/projects/grecipe-manager/files/grecipe-manager/0.8.5.14/

• john
    john
    2012-03-31

Thanks Thomas.  I have now downloaded an older version and report back later.

• john
    john
    2012-03-31

I managed to import the mk file, but Gourmet is giving me a message indicating that it is a large text file, but import it anyway.  Importation was successful, but no recipes have been loaded.  The file might have got corrupted when I tried to view in a text viewer?  I've tried this with two older installers.  The file properties indicate that it is an .mk file.

• tom
    tom
    2012-03-31

You can't import a database file. Rather, you would need to put (a copy of) the file directly in the gourmet directory. Obviously back up any other database files you have. If you start Gourmet up with your DB file in place, you should see your old recipes. You can then try to export them (as Gourmet XML for example) and then import the exported file from a future Gourmet version.

• john
    john
    2012-03-31

Thanks.  Never thought of that.  I will report back.

• john
    john
    2012-03-31

I have done what you recommended, replacing my database with the default and all is OK!  I'm very grateful to you.  I owe you a drink!

I need to create a new database with the new version now.

• john
    john
    2012-04-01

Rescued the recipes, but I am having big problems getting the beta version 0.15.4 alpha to run on windows 7.  Access is denied.  I have GTK Runtime 2.24.8 installed.  I have had the new version of Gourmet working on this machine before.

• treebeardent
    treebeardent
    2012-04-01

If your still having windows7 problems, maybe (after exporting your recipes and backing up) uninstalling your gtk+ version, uninstalling gourmet and installing the gourmet-0.15.4-alpha-full_gtkglade-2.12.9 will work, or will be an easy fix.

• john
    john
    2012-04-01

This version works fine.
    gourmet-0.15.4-alpha-full_gtkglade-2.12.9

Many thanks.