Help
acattelan
2006-10-06
2013-05-14
  • acattelan
    acattelan
    2006-10-06

Hi,
    I still can't understand how to import my old recipe database into the latest Gourmet version.

I've been running Gourmet 0.8.5.14 for a while now and have collected a good number of recipes I'd like to import into the new database format. Can someone please tell me how to do it?

Thanks,
    .a.

• tom
      tom
      2006-10-06

It should happen automatically. If it's not happening, something's broken, alas. What platform are you on (linux or windows?)?

• acattelan
      acattelan
      2006-10-06

Thanks for answering. Maybe you remember that we'd already tried to fix the same problem a few weeks ago on a different Gourmet version but we had no luck then: you sent me a converted db but it wouldn't work properly.

Now, here are some more information to understand the problem. I'm using Ubuntu Dapper and when I try to run the new Gourmet version I get the following error:

ale@ubuntu:~$ gourmet --version
      0.12.0.pre1
      ale@ubuntu:~$ gourmet
      /usr/share/gourmet/importers/__init__.py:3: DeprecationWarning: Non-ASCII character '\xc3' in file /usr/share/gourmet/importers/rezkonv_importer.py on line 41, but no encoding declared; see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details
        import gxml2_importer, rezkonv_importer
      Player is  gourmet.sound_gnome.Player
      X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
        Major opcode:  145
        Minor opcode:  3
        Resource id:  0x0
      Failed to open device
      X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
        Major opcode:  145
        Minor opcode:  3
        Resource id:  0x0
      Failed to open device
      QFile::writeBlock: File not open
      [...]
      Not trying to update.
      We had an import error.
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/usr/share/gourmet/GourmetRecipeManager.py", line 45, in check_for_data_to_import
          import legacy_db
        File "/usr/share/gourmet/legacy_db/__init__.py", line 6, in ?
          import db_085.rmetakit, db_09.rmetakit
        File "/usr/share/gourmet/legacy_db/db_085/rmetakit.py", line 1, in ?
          import metakit, re, pickle, string, os.path
      ImportError: No module named metakit
      Grabbing nutrition database!
      sys:1: Warning: instance of invalid non-instantiatable type `(null)'
      sys:1: Warning: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

Thanks for any help.
      Ale.

• tom
        tom
        2006-10-06

I've forgotten the previous exchange, but I believe you :) The error you're getting now is because you don't have metakit + the python-metakit bindings installed. You need to have metakit installed in order to upgrade from the old package to the new.

• acattelan
      acattelan
      2006-10-07

OK, thanks, now it works.

Shouldn't those two packages be installed by default as a dependency?

I downloaded the Gourmet .deb package and tried to install it with dpkg -i. It complained about some missing packages, then I fixed it with apt-get -f install. It downloaded some dependencies and finished the installation - the metakit, though, was not there. Maybe it should be included among the dependencies.

Thanks very much,
      Ale.

• tom
        tom
        2006-10-07

No -- it's only a dependency if you're upgrading and it's a hard package to find for some distros, so it really doesn't make sense to include it since new users don't need it and old users should already have it. However, it would make sense to make a nice little explanatory error message showed up for upgrading users who don't have metakit.