Why does this program fail to load for me?

Help
hubbadub
2005-10-24
2013-05-14
  • hubbadub
    hubbadub
    2005-10-24

I installed this program in the newest version of Ubuntu Linux. It worked at first, and I imported and created a few recipes.

However, now upon running the program, it starts to load up, then fails, crashes, whatever you want to call it, with no error message given. A complete removal and re-install does not fix this. can someone please help? thanks!

• hubbadub
      hubbadub
      2005-10-24

By the way, I first had the newest stable version installed, and now that that failed, i tried the new unstable version as well, still the same occurance.

• tom
        tom
        2005-10-24

Have you run this from a terminal?
        Doing so should get you some error output, which may or may not help get to the root of the problem.
        One possibility is database corruption leading to a segfault in the metakit libraries (the database library gourmet uses). If this is the case, moving your current data files out of the way will prevent the crash (though it doesn't tell us why it crashed in the first place).

Gourmet stores its database in ~/.gourmet where ~/ is your home directory.

I'd do the following from a terminal and see if Gourmet runs any better:

mv ~/.gourmet ~/.gourmet_foobared

Tom

• hubbadub
      hubbadub
      2005-10-24

My wife thanks you!!!

Yep, running it in a console caused a seg fault, so moving the .gourmet to a diff folder and running the program again fixed it. Thanks!