Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Windows Version

Anonymous
2009-12-30
2013-05-14

• Anonymous
    2009-12-30

I just want to say that this is a great product.
    Are you still developing a version for Windows?
    I looked at gourmet-0.15.2 and found no .exe file, please advise.

• Hi,

I'm currently working on an up-to-date Windows version of Gourmet. While I already got it running at least with out any obvious crashes etc, there are a couple of dependencies that aren't trivially fulfilled. For example, Gourmet's new printing system depends on a component called poppler-python that has not yet been ported to windows (though I'm currently trying to get that done, see ).

But if you're willing to test a possibly unstable version without printing capabilities, you're more than welcome (but you should have a current backup of your recipes before you give it a try)!. I can either provide you with an exe, or maybe there should even be some sort of beta release, so other people get a chance to test it, too. But that's something Tom - being the maintainer - would have to decide.

Tom, are you reading this?

Bernhard

: https://bugs.launchpad.net/poppler-python/+bug/499592

• tom
    tom
    2009-12-31

Bernhard,

I'm all for getting whatever we can released - getting something out there may inspire more folks to help you work on improving the windows build.

If you can figure out a way to include a note either in the installer or the first start-up to warn about known issues, that might help reduce the number of bug reports we get for known issues on windows.

I believe I may have already given you file release privileges at some past point? Is that right? If not, I can give you permissions to release directly, or you can email me files to upload.

• Jeni Clark
    Jeni Clark
    2010-01-09

i'm willing to keep trying your alpha product on my windows machine if you need someone to test it.  I still can't get the newest alpha version up and running that i found listed at https://sourceforge.net/projects/grecipe-manager/   The version i just installed is File released: /0.15.3/gourmet-0.15.3-2alpha-full_gtkglade-2.12.9.exe   My email is jclarkmeisterATgmailDOTcom. 
    Here's the error log I had when I installed the "stable" windows version on my XP machine ie gourmet-0.13.4-1.-full_gtkglade-2.12.9.exe:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "Gourmet.pyw", line 34, in ?
      File "gourmet\GourmetRecipeManager.pyo", line 1356, in startGUI
      File "gourmet\GourmetRecipeManager.pyo", line 161, in __init__
      File "gourmet\GourmetRecipeManager.pyo", line 439, in init_recipes
      File "gourmet\backends\sqlite_db.pyo", line 78, in __init__
      File "gourmet\keymanager.pyo", line 30, in __init__
      File "gourmet\backends\sql_db.pyo", line 101, in fetch_len
      File "gourmet\backends\sql_db.pyo", line 73, in execute
    pysqlite2.dbapi2.DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

Now the newest error log after installing the alpha version is:
      File "Gourmet.pyw", line 13, in <module>
      File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 82, in load_module
      File "gourmet\__init__.pyo", line 10, in <module>
      File "gourmet\gglobals.pyo", line 35, in <module>
      File "gourmet\gettext_setup.pyo", line 70, in <module>
      File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 98, in load_module
    ImportError: MemoryLoadLibrary failed loading win32api.pyd

I'm trying to test this without loading my old library of recipes in case the database became corrupt when I saved it through carbonite.

• Jason Chard
    Jason Chard
    2010-02-12

I have tested your Alpha 2 package and I get the following error.

• jasonchard, under what windows version are you trying to run gourmet? is that xp, vista, or 7, or…?

• Jason Chard
    Jason Chard
    2010-02-13

I am using Windows XP.  I have no problem with the existing 13.4 version.

• greyson
    greyson
    2010-02-17

I was using the older 9 something version, and lost track of this wonderful software. I'd be glad to help test the windows version as well. Question, should I get the full glade or just the normal version? I currently have python 2.64 installed for use with Gimp on Windows XP SP3. Thanks, let me know how I can help.

• greyson
    greyson
    2010-02-17

I've also got pygtk, pycairo, and pygobject installed for gimp purposes as well. So hope that doesn't cause any issues.

• greyson
    greyson
    2010-02-18

I am getting the same errors as Jasonchard.

Windows XP SP3

• Brian
    Brian
    2010-02-18

I was able to delete the POWRPROF.dll from the library.zip file and GRM ran fine.  (See #11)

Previously I was getting an error message similar to above.  (See #12)

I am currently running Windows XP SP3.

Brian

• greyson
    greyson
    2010-02-18

Sounds great Brian. The problem I'm having is that when I try to open the zip file I'm getting that the archive is either missing or corrupt. So I can't even get into it. I'm going to try to do a fresh install and see if I get the same problem on the zip file.

• greyson
    greyson
    2010-02-19

Correction, what I meant to say is that it says the that archive is either invalid or corrupt. Even on a new install I'm getting the same error when trying to open the library.zip file with the built in Windows zip program. I used 7 zip and it bombs out with an error as well.

When I run a "Test Archive" option from 7 zip, 7 zip returns with an error message that says "not a supported archive". What was this zipped with? And Brian what did you use to unzip it? Thanks.

• Anonymous
    2010-02-20

I remember I had a similar problem when I tried to open a zip file using the preinstalled winzip, while the zip file was compressed using winzip 12. try that, and vice versa…

• jasonchard , thx for finding out about POWRPROF.dll. I've just posted windows binaries for 0.15.4 (alpha) which i hope finally run on windows xp. people, please test it - i still only have vista to work on.

btw, for those interested, library.zip is auto-generated by the toolchain, that is, py2exe. i have no clue why it produces a zip archive that is reported to be corrupt by 7zip etc.

• Brian
    Brian
    2010-02-23

For the record, I used ZipGenius ( http://www.zipgenius.com/ ) to open library.zip.  In the past when I got an error like yours, I was usually able the remedy the issue by downloading again.

I just downloaded gourmet-0.15.4-alpha-no-gtkglade.exe.  It installed and ran w/out a hitch.  I enabled a couple of options and was also able to import recipes from an XML file.

Thanks for the work guys,
    Brian

• Jason Chard
    Jason Chard
    2010-02-25

I have installed the new version and it now lauches as expected.

• greyson
    greyson
    2010-02-28

Awesome news! Thanks for the update. I've downloaded it and will be installing later. Nice to know I should be able to import my recipes.

• maxxess
    maxxess
    2010-04-10

Any news on why all windows open up minimized? (0.15.4-alpha)
    On my wishlist this is the highest priority, It is very tiresome to have to resize each window each time it opens. It more or less makes the app unusable for anyone with less patience than me :-)

• maxxess
    maxxess
    2010-07-22

There's new release of Gourmet out. Will there be a windows version?
    Also - will the "open minimized"-bug finally be resolved?

I really like Gourmet but the Windows version does not work very well with all windows opening minimized. (0.1.5.4)

• Garth
    Garth
    2010-09-17

@maxxess

I also find the this behavior very iritating, and would like it fixed - this problem does not exist in the Linux version of Gourmet.

I am running Gourmet on a dual boot computer (Linux Mint and Windows 7).  I really like Gourmet - It has a cleam and simple interface, with some very good features.  Unfortunately some of these features only work when I am in Linlux Minit.

I am not a programmer, so I cannot help the developers modify the code to improve the Windows version..  I could, however capture error messages, warnings, etc. in Windows 7, log them (using Evernote), and provide a comparisin to the behaviour under Linux Mint.

I could not really see any way to directly input problems/bugs specific to the Windows version other than this Forum.

What is the best way for people  to provide this kind of input?

REGARDS

• Garth
    Garth
    2010-09-17

DataBase Sharing

By the way, the Linux Mint and Win7 Gourmet Installs on the machine noted above  share the same 'recipe.db' data base (It took me a while to find file on my Win7 system - burried deep on the C: drive, even though I installed Gourmet on my main shared Linux/Win D:/Datafiles partition.). 

On this machine I let Linux Mint have full access to all Windows partitions (locally, not on the network). There was no problem creating a link from the Win 7 'recipe.db' file deep in the Win7 C: drive, to use as a replacement for the 'recipe.db' file in my Linux '.Gourmet ' home folder.

I have full access to all recipes entered from either OS, but the pictures and Nutrition Data are avialable only while I am booted into Linux Mint. 

Regards
                          Garth

• I've got a machine with WinXP and I'd be glad to help test this out.  What can I do to help?