Android!?

Anonymous
2012-03-30
2013-05-14

• Anonymous
    2012-03-30

Let me start by saying Gourmet is the best recipe app out there for my needs.  Superior interface, awesome ability to import recipes from the web (i especially like the paste parsing on ingredients lists!)… and it allows me to keep MY recipes - not the whole world of recipes from something like allrecipes).

Mr. Hinkle is the MAN… i don't see the request in the forums (altho i can't imagine it has not been made before)…. PLEASE can we get an android port?   I realize python to java could be a hurdle, but there are some intermediate layer libs out there… have you done any investigation into those?

I have searched the android market over, and NOTHING compares to Gourmet.    As a stop gap, i may need to investigate and Android X server to run Gourmet remotely.

Thanks Thomas!

-Brian

• Chris
    Chris
    2012-03-30

First off, I was in the same boat but I broke down and put an old computer in my kitchen. I have to say that having Gourmet on a full-sized screen while cooking is really nice.

Anyway, though, Gourmet has (or at least had) the ability to run a webserver that gives you access to your recipes. I think it is  in development and not fully documented, but I got it up and running working by looking through the sources (see gourmet-0.15.9\src\lib\plugins\web_plugin\gourmetweb). Once it was up and running, I would use my Android to browse to the site and view my recipes. The way the information was displayed on the phone was surprisingly functional.

I feel like I also found one very helpful discussion on these forums that really pointed me in the right direction, but I cannot figure out what it was.