Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

ETA

Routing
Swejzi
2011-04-24
2013-05-29
  • Swejzi
    Swejzi
    2011-04-24

ETA (estimated time of arrival) does not match reality. I suppose that counts so that the road in the city is expected at 50 km/h, out of town 90 km/h, on highway 130 km/h etc. For longer routes, the difference up to an hour. Somehow we could not optimize? For example, add a delay at each intersection or the like.

• sk750
    sk750
    2011-04-24

Hmm… in my experience especially for car and bicycle navigation the ETA estimates are pretty correct, at least when on the ways of the route the maxspeed values and traffic signals are mapped. Both are taken into account for maxspeed calculation besides the routing soured in the style file.

• Swejzi
    Swejzi
    2011-04-25

This is precisely the problem. On the map of Czech Republic, mostly maxspeed tags missing. Trying to reduce the values of the style-file and to find a reasonable compromise.

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2011-04-25

My experience is alo that the ar ETA estimates are surprisingly accurate especially on long trips - except when there's a route calculation bug which hits, then the estimated travel time is too long. In

Perhaps you can give a practical example so it can be seen if there's a bug somewhere which causes incorrect estimates for you.

• Swejzi
    Swejzi
    2011-04-25

No error of calculation do not know. I edited values of speed in a style-file. I compare ETA with Google Maps. There is quite accurate. I tried many different routes for all types of road and time delta is now a maximum of +/- 10 min. Just do not know how to work now will alert the speed over the limit. It is always displayed? Or just when the road maxspeed tag? Personally, I never happened that GpsMid reported a high speed.
    Currently I have in style-file these values:
    motorway - 110
    motorway_link - 35
    trunk - 90
    trunk_link - 35
    primary - 50
    primary_link - 35
    secondary - 50
    secondary_link - 35
    tertiary - 40
    unclassified - 30
    road - 30
    residential - 25
    living_street - 20
    service - 20
    If of these values calculates ETA, the values must not specify the maximum speed, but rather average. (So must be calculated and stopping at intersections, etc.)

• Anonymous
    2011-04-25

ETA work well for me. It gives fairly good estimation for car and bicycle in Germany and Denmark. For ETA of foot mode I increased the speed a little to match with my pace. Now its accurate, too.

regards Billi25

• Swejzi
    Swejzi
    2011-04-25

I found that this method is not suitable. Editing speed  values improves  ETA, but then takes a longer route calculation so long (with the same settings) :-(