Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Routing using Latitute / Longitude figures?

Routing
James UK
2012-03-19
2013-05-29
  • James UK
    James UK
    2012-03-19

Hi, forgive me if I've missed this, but is it possible to search for places via direct latitude / longitude values, if known? Example; I am trying to find a road name without success, because it is a newly developed road, and not actually present as a road in my GpsMid data files. I do know the map latitude / longitude values, and wanted to input these into GpsMid and save them either as a Waypoint, or use the data as a route destination.

Is this possible? I couldn't see any documentation on entering direct latitude / longitude references in the "Routing" or "Search" documentation?

I wondered if it was possible to create a waypoint, then view this waypoint within the file structure (where are waypoints saved to?), hopefully if it is in say, a plain text file called "waypoints.txt" or similar, and then providing it was in a nice easy format like;

59.12345 -2.125 Southboard Road

… then I could simply add my own waypoints using my own LatLng data.

Can anyone help with this? Is there any other way I could "write" a file containing LatLng data for places, and "get it into" GpsMid as waypoints, rather than having to scroll the map many, many times to locate the places?

Thanks for any help

Regards

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-03-19

It is possible to export & import waypoints in the GPX format.  See e.g.  http://www.topografix.com/gpx_manual.asp for info GPX.

To export & import GPX files, you first have to set the GPX url (often a filename, but can also be a bluetooth device address or upload directly to OSM) in GpsMid settings (the setting is "Export").

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-03-19

If you just want to go to one location by coordinates, you can go to Recordings and Enter waypoint. Then go to Waypoints, and you can show the entered waypoint.

• James UK
    James UK
    2012-03-19

Hi jkpj, and thanks for the prompt reply.

Ah, the second option sounds like the one I want, and apologies for missing it.  Thanks for the information and help.

Regards

• James UK
    James UK
    2012-03-20

If anyone else is watching this thread, just to say thanks again for the help. I checked yesterday and easily found the "Recordings" / "Waypoints" dialogue in my installation of GpsMid, and successfully entered a waypoint using a set of LatLng co-ordinates.

I also read up on the .gpx file format as you suggested, and found I was able to write a very simple plain text file in a format like this;

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gpx version="1.0" creator="CopperCounter By Hand">
    <wpt lat="50.21278" lon="-1.22967">
    <name>56 Cheetam Road BA1 7AB</name>
    </wpt>
    <wpt lat="51.34560" lon="-0.3160">
    <name>Chessington World of Adventures KT9 2NE</name>
    </wpt>
    </gpx>

…which I was able then to import in GpsMid to give me the 2 waypoints as coded in the file.

Thanks to GpsMid supporting the .gpx format, I now have a way to bulk add as many waypoints as I need, all in one similar simple file import operation. ;-)

Thanks again jkpj for the pointers and help.

Regards

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-03-20

Hi,

no problem, and thanks for the feedack! It helps us develop GpsMid to be easier to use. As a result of your question, I also added a feature request to add functionality to search a place by coordinates in the search menu, which is probably be one of the obvious places where anyone will look for a coordinate search. So, hopefully someday that feature can be added, it's kind of a hurdle to have to go via entering a waypoint if one just needs to go to coordinates and doesn't need the waypoint.

• James UK
    James UK
    2012-03-20

Great, thanks again. ;-)

It's people such as yourself freely sharing code and their skills like this that makes me do exactly the same; sharing my knowledge (limited as it is!) with others too, whenever I can.

Regards.

• john3voltas
    john3voltas
    2012-07-15

Greetings.
    Has this feature been made easier in the past couple of months?
    Because I've read this topic but I don't understand what I need to do to manually add a Lat/Lon waypoint.
    Cheers

• James UK
    James UK
    2012-07-16

Hi, don't think it's been changed, but you manually add a  waypoint in the "Recordings" / "Waypoints" dialogue using a set of LatLng co-ordinates.

HTH

Coppercounter