Samsung GT S5230 Star/Tocco Lite

2009-12-29
2013-05-29
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Hello Everybody,
    unfortunately GpsMid won't work on my Samsung S5230.
    I tried to install it (with the Berlin map jar), which would work but when trying to open it, it would display a "invalid file type / format" error. I guess it has something to do with the file size (13MB). Does anybody have any ideas how to solve that or has anybody succesfully installed GpsMid on his/her S5230?

Best,

M

• Hello M,

can you please generate with Osm2GpsMid from the nightly builds a new GpsMid  for a small region? This GpsMid should have less than 1 MB. If that small GpsMid works, maybe you can select the big Berlin GpsMid as external map source.

Please tell us, if it worked.

sk750

• Hi sk750,
    as I did not have much time, I did not crate another GpsMid with a smaller region on my own but rather installed a premade gpsMid with a very small filesize. I found Seychelles with only 613 KB.

And…. I could install and open this small jar! :-)

One question (before you think about how to make it with an external file): Can I use GpsMID without GPS (external or internal)?
    I just want to look at maps and scroll around a little bit.

Best,
    M

• Hello M,

yes, you can use GpsMid without GPS as well. Actually initially I've used GpsMid also without GPS.

For the external map: It should be the easiest way to  copy the big jar also onto the mobile and select it from Setup/Map source in the Seychelle-Midlet. Maybe rename the big .jar to .zip first, as some mobiles might not except it otherwise as data file.

sk750

• Hi Sk750,
    thanks a lot for your answers!

one stupid question: How do I use the application without GPS? All I see in my programme is a green ("empty") map… no matter what layer I try to add or no matter how much I zoom out/in. I am sure there is something very simple I am doing wrong, but I am not getting it…
    (or the map data is broken).

Sorry for the inconvenience!

• The displays coordinates are probably very far off-map. Usually you should be able to Search for a street. When in the search screen, on touch screen mobiles click on the screen then enter at least to letters with the virtual keyboards an click Ok. You should see a result list now, where you can select from. Does this work?

• Thanks a lot for your hint! I managed to find a street and then a part of the map, which was not only green! Now I just got to find out how to display the street names (couldn't find it in the settings) and then try to link an external map to the system!

Best,

M

• An experimental display of street names can be found in "Map features", called "Way labels".

Did it work with the external map?

• Hi!
    I did not try, as I was able to create a jar file with 0sm2GpsMid for my region that was 3MB in size, and that could be run by my phone without any problems. So up to now I did not need to try with the external map. But if I might need to one day, I will describe my results here!

Best,
    M

• Well, it's only in case it does not work on S5230, we are not able to start trying to fix the issue before we have exact feedback what happens…

• Hello everybody,
    I also have a Samsung S5230 and I tryed to use the Seychelles-file. But it did not work. What did i made wrong?
    I would be happy for any sugestions, if possible in german.

Thanks, Jochen (from Ratingen in Germany)

• What happened when trying the Seychelles file?

• I loaded the .jar file to the memorycard in the phone. When I try to open the file (on the phone) I get an errormessage "Dateityp nicht unterstützt" (filetype not supported).

Jochen

• Maybe you need to upload the .jad and the .jar file and then open the .jad file. Maybe you can only install with TKFileExplorer which is a Samsung tool for the PC. But I don't have a Samsung and therefore can't tell you much about it.

It would be good if we had some kind of GpsMid installation manual here for S5230.

• I already tryed to upload both files (.jar and .jap) to the phone. With both files I get the same errormessage.

• Does it work with other J2ME Jars? There must be instructions somewhere available how to install midlets on S5230?

• After I have red several forums for S5230 I know now that the firmware in the phone probably is the problem. I should flash the phone, but I don´t want to do that.
    Thaks to all

Jochen

• ej3
    ej3
    2010-06-28

HI there,
    the trick of installing the small Seychelles works fine on my S5230, 
    and I unzipped the Amsterdam .jar and put it in a map on the external flashcard.
    BUT how can I get GPSmid to display  the Amsterdam map?

Also, I am setting it up with the ActivePilot Bluetooth GPS, which GPDmid has detected.
    BUT which choice, if any, do I have to make between:
    a) Bluetooth (NMEA).
    b) Bluetooth (Sirf)
    c) Internal (JSR179)
    d) Cell-ID (OpenCellId.org)
    e) none

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    ej3

• sk750
    sk750
    2010-06-28

Did you select the directory in Setup/Advanced/Map Source.

a) should be the right option

• ej3
    ej3
    2010-06-28

thank you for replying,
    yes I succeeded in finding Setup/Advanced/Map  and pointing to the amsterdam.zip, but then it got completely stuch, and I had even to remove it from shard memory and re-install; same with amsterdam.jar, by the way;

I'll try the option a)

• sk750
    sk750
    2010-06-28

You used an amsterdam.zip or a folder with the unpacked files as map source?

• ej3
    ej3
    2010-06-28

no, I have one folder with the unzipped files, which did not make any sense in selecting, just showing the filelist, and the original amsterdam.zip file, to which I pointed, being equal to the .jad except for the extension obviously - but both to no avail, sadly

• sk750
    sk750
    2010-06-28

you must select the folder with the unzipped files, otherwise it does not work on Samsung afaik

• ej3
    ej3
    2010-06-28

Actually, I tried that too, but after pointing to the unzipped folder, the next step was an opened folder with the filelist, so obviously a certain file would have to be pointed to next to be selected as the 'map' to be used, and I did not think such a file exists in the folder, or does it?

• sk750
    sk750
    2010-06-28

No, do not go into the directory. You must select the "Select" menu entry if you are on the directory.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)