Samsung GT-N7000 Galaxy Note

2012-03-14
2013-05-29
  • Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-03-14

Seems to work mostly OK with stock Android (2.3.6), software GpsMid 0.7.71-map69, however some comments:

* GpsMid screen does not fill the phone's screen, instead there are wide black borders, especially at lower side. GpsMid screen is perhaps something like 840 x 480 when the phone's res is 1200 x 800. This might be related to the issue seen on Galaxy S II (see adjacent thread)
    * when a phone call comes in, track recording is stopped
    * GpsMid seems to be a huge battery hog (see wakelock discussion on Developers forum for possible reason)
    * I haven't succeeded to double-click search results for routing. Probably a result of high pixels-per-inch value of the device and a fixed pixel difference not being met for finger double-clicks. I've used single click then menu / route to as a workaround.

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-03-14

Upgrading to J2MEPolish 2.3 (from 2.2.1) solved the issue of GpsMid not using full screen. However things brings up anotehr usability issue related to high pixels-per inch value - the target & GPS icons are very small and thus hard to see.

For comfortable use on the Note and tablets which will have even bigger resolutions and varying screen size, some kind of PPI-based layout choices for things like touch area sizes, target crosses etc. would be good to have.

(2.3 also created another new issue, the GpsMid.png logo being not found as it's searched as gpsmid.png; this could even be a bugfix in J2MEPolish, as I recall making some kind of counterintuitive change with gpsmid.png name for Android for the early versions)

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-03-16

All issues except double-clicking and other area size-related issues are now resolved with J2MEPolish and other fixes in the current nightly.