Android: install GpsMid on SD card

Developers
2012-10-29
2013-05-29
  • The current version of Android apk does not allow to install itself on SD card, only the phone memory is permitted. Is it possible to change this behaviour? Can I recompile it myself with SD card installation allowed?

• sk750
    sk750
    2012-10-29

Don't own an Android device yet but hopefully these instructions are helpful:

www.gadgetcage.com/how-to-install-android-apps-on-sd-card/25914/

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-10-31

I don't think the gadgetcage instructions will help, as the issue seems to be the AndroidManifest.xml file in GpsMid Android apk not permitting installs on SD card. Anything non-rooted probably won't be able to change that, as the ability of allowing or not to install on sdcard is apparently part of allowing the app creator control over app instlal, probably partially for reasons relating to making unauthorized copying harder.

When I created the Android port, I didn't find a way to configure this (and some other parts of AndroidManifest which I wanted to edit) with the J2MEPolish platform used for building GpsMid. Perhaps you are better at finding out how to do this, in which case you might be able to change this. There's some documentation at http://www.enough.de/products/j2me-polish/documentation/platforms/android.html#android-configuring-manifest - but may be there's no functionality for changing this feature in J2MEPolish. J2MEPolish is free software so you could also take a go at adding this.

Alternatively, you probably can hack it when recompiling yourself, by modifying the AndroidManifest.xml while the compilation is running.

A third approach is to use a tool named "apktool" which, according to documentation allows one to take apart an .apk and decompile AndroidManifest.xml into source form, modify it, and put the .apk back together.  I'm looking into this approach for ShareNav so I might be able to give some more info in a few days. So far I've used it to the take the .apk apart and the AndroidManifest.xml does seem to become editable, haven't yet tried to recreate the .apk. Anyway it didn't look too complicated, so this might be the easiest path. In the long run, it would be best to add this functionality to J2MEPolish if it already isn't there, or improve documentation if it is.

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-10-31

I have the J2MEPolish changes almost ready.

• Thanks for addressing this issue!