GPSMID & zipped maps. Is Tar also po...

Help
2012-07-15
2013-05-29
  • john3voltas
    john3voltas
    2012-07-15

Coming from Trekbuddy, I am used to see maps in tar-files.
    Usually, taring files makes the PC_to_phone copy procedure much faster and almost not noticeable when using the map later.
    On the opposite, I've tried to select a zipped map on my Nokia E51 and it simply crashed GPSMID, and then when I tried to start GPSMID again to select another map it would always crash again.
    Here come some questions:
    1 - Is there a config file somewhere that I can edit/erase on these occasions when GPSMID won't start? Or do I really have to uninstall it and reinstall?

When I extract a map to a folder, in GPSMID I browse to the parent folder of the map's folder, highlight the folder where the map is extracted and then I select that folder.
    2 - What should I do to select a Zipped map? Put it in a folder and browse to that folder's parent folder and select the folder where the zipped file is?
    Or should I browse to the folder where the zipped file is, highlight the zipped file and then select it?
    Boy, this is confusing… Hope I made any sense…

3 - One last question: can I convert a zipped map into a tared map and use it instead? If so, how?

Cheers

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-07-15

Are you using a separate daemon for tarred maps with Trekbuddy with the Symbian helper, or does Trekbuddy read the tars directly? From what I remember about trekbuddy, there's a speed advantage in using the Symbian helper which can read files faster than a J2ME midlet running on the JVM.

Unfortunately there's at the moment no support for the Symbian helper for reading files, nor the tar format. It would be possible to add support for the Trekbuddy Symbian helper I think.

1) Config is stored in the Recordstore, storing of which depends on your phone - it's a recordstore named Receiver. At the moment there's no GpsMid method of erasing the config

2) You should select the file - highlight the file and then select.

3) see text before answers

• john3voltas
    john3voltas
    2012-07-15

Hi jkpj,
    Thanks for your prompt reply :).
    In fact I have been using symbian helper.
    So, (still?) no support for symbian helper. and no external/direct support for tar files.
    Guess I'll have to live with either zipped maps or unzipped maps.
    I will retry to copy my country's zipped map to my phone and select it under GPSMID.
    If it fails, I'll have to work with unzipped maps which is a bit boring because if I do so, when I open my phone's picture gallery I have to see all GPSMID's icons along with my pictures. But I guess I can live with that.
    Big bummer is the fact that I cannot erase GPSMID's config file.
    I thought that GPSMID should have a "panic" mechanism that would ask if I want to restart from a fresh new config when it crashes once or twice in a row.
    Can I ask for a feature similar to this to be implemented in the future?
    Cheers

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-07-15

Of curiosity, why would you want to have maps in tars? Because of performance, something else?

If you aim for performance, one thing you can do is build the map zip so it's not compressed. I don't see why this would be significantly different in performance from direct reading of tars.

"I thought that GPSMID should have a "panic" mechanism that would ask if I want to restart from a fresh new config when it crashes once or twice in a row. Can I ask for a feature similar to this to be implemented in the future?"

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea. Not sure if it's possible to catch crashes in every case, but probably some mechanism can be found to catch at least most cases. Or, perhaps, even better could be to ask whether to start with a default config (factory settings), but still retain the config so user doesn't have to enter all settings again if he can figure out the one which is wrong.

• john3voltas
    john3voltas
    2012-07-16

Yes, what I had in mind is a rescue system that helps the user to safely restart GpsMid knowing that it wouldn't crash again.
    Which is the best approach to achieve this, I honestly don't know.
    Yep, it must be hard for the midlet to know that it has already crashed X amount of times. Heck, it might even be totally impossible for the midlet to know that it has crashed a single time alone, lol.
    Besides, the crash may not have anything to do with the midlet itself. It could be down to the phone OS crashing altogether due to some other reason.
    Also, It ain't cool having the midlet ask you if you want to go into safe-mode every time it starts.
    So, how about having GpsMid start and load itself into RAM as usual without reading the config file up to the point where the user accepts its license? There, the user has to accept (or not) the license and maybe you could add a special digit (like star *) that would enable safe-mode, reading a stock config file instead of the user's broken config file. What do you think of that?
    I honestly don't know if that's feasible or not but it sure looks like a nice way of working around the issue.
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers

• john3voltas
    john3voltas
    2012-07-16

jkpj
    Of curiosity, why would you want to have maps in tars? Because of performance, something else?

Sorry, forgot to answer your question.
    Yes, I'm after performance and I thought that a Tared map would speed up things while making it easy to copy the map to the phone. It's not easy to copy thousands of tiny files to a phone through USB…

jkpj
    If you aim for performance, one thing you can do is build the map zip so it's not compressed. I don't see why this would be significantly different in performance from direct reading of tars.

Errr, how do I do that? Build the map zip not compressed?
    Osm2GpsMid has a "Create GpsMid map zip". Is this what you're talking about?
    I thought that it being in a zip would mean that it is compressed.
    Cheers

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-07-16

Well, I seldom use the Osm2GpsMid GUI, rather I use the commandline - basically, yes, creating a map zip is the way to do it, but it seems that there's no "don't compress" option in the GUI. Basically, to use a non-compressed map, add "dontCompress = *" to the .properties file to build the map. Look in the Wiki how to use .properties files.

• Libor Striz
    Libor Striz
    2012-07-25

An alternative can be to recompression of the ZIP into noncompressed ZIP, e.g. by 7-zip.