Help
hansl
2012-10-12
2013-05-29
  • hansl
    hansl
    2012-10-12

Hi,

I tried to install the signed GpsMid-Generic-full.jad/jar 0.8.2 on my Symbian S60 5th Nokia 5230 and received a certificate error. I guess the reason is that the Thawte Code Signing certificate has expired on Sep 20, 2012. Could you please help?

Thanks, Hansl

• Adam Sone
    Adam Sone
    2012-10-15

I am experiencing a similar error on my Blackberry 9900.  "909 Application authentication failure 2-331 MIDlet Certificate Chain Error" is the error I get when attempting to install.

I am eagerly seeking a offline navigation application, and I would love to get this working!

• hansl
    hansl
    2012-10-16

Well, it works with selfmade midlets. No need for signed midlets on Nokia 5230. Nevertheless, the expired certificate should be renewed or removed.

hansl

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-10-18

According to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9228735/digital-certificate-for-j2me-apps , expiration of the signing certificate does not prevent the previously signed midlets from installing, so I would think the problem is something else than expiry of the signing cert. I've seen it said that not all signing certififactes will work with all devices.

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-10-18

Hmm - haven't tested either way, but contrary to the previous messages, this texts says it's different for Thawte, and the signing indeed may be useless now (guess that may depend on the device, or whether one wants to set the date back at install time).

"    When you submit, you have to give them 'end of distribution' date, which must be no later than the date when your cert expires. I assume after the 'end of distribution' date, the content will be automatically taken off the store. "

Looking at the signed jad:

$ java -jar /usr/local/WTK2.5.2/bin/JadTool.jar -showcert -all -inputjad GpsMid-Generic-full-connected-0.8.2-map72.jad

MIDlet-Certificate-1-1:

Subject: CN=FOSSGIS e.V., OU=FOSSGIS e.V., O=FOSSGIS e.V., L=Potsdam, ST=Brandenburg, C=DE
    Issuer : CN=Thawte Code Signing CA - G2, O="Thawte, Inc.", C=US

Valid from Tue Sep 21 03:00:00 EEST 2010 to Fri Sep 21 02:59:59 EEST 2012
    Certificate fingerprints:

MIDlet-Certificate-1-2:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Discussion/showthread.php?195284-Code-Signing-Certificate-expiration-after-1-year

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-10-18

As there are no plans now to renew the certificate, it would probably be a good idea to check if the last explanation is correct, and if so, prominently document that jads are not useful on (which? most?) devices, except perhaps if the clock is set back for install. And would be good to also add any possible documentation for possible workarounds like setting the clock back for the time of install.

• hansl
    hansl
    2012-10-19

I tried installation on Nokia 5230 of the jad and after that didn't work, I tried to install the jar (but with the jad still stored on the phone's memory card. I don't know if this might have an influence). This also failed with the same certificate error.

• Anonymous
    2013-01-18

Same problem here. I can't install the certified version. The certificate is outdated.
    The unsigned version is unusable on my phone, because I really often get permission requests.

• sk750
    sk750
    2013-01-18

I don't think the certificate can be renewed (costs money:, but you can temporarily change the date of your mobile to an older one for installation. After installation probably the expiration time is no more checked and GpsMid will continue to work.