Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Release 0.8.2 has been published

2012-09-08
2013-05-29
  • Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-09-08

GpsMid bug fix and new feature 0.8.2 has been published (no signed versions for J2ME available quite yet, though). Release is for J2ME devices and Android.

WHATSNEW.TXT excerpt is at the end, telling what has changed since last release, 0.8.1, published on September 8, 2012.

This is the tenth published release of GpsMid I've shepherded from release candidate to a release. I decided to take a look on some of my involvment with GpsMid, and found this I wrote in May 2010 when I started the Android port:

"GpsMid is truly great software and you developers have made some wise choices with regards to platform and architecture, making it possible to use GpsMid with relatively few changes on new platforms."

Still think that the software & the foundation are great, and hope in the three or so years of my involvment I've managed to add something useful to it by making this great piece of free software translatable, adding Android support, overspeed alert which I find particularly useful :-) and some other things.

However there's a time for everything, and it looks like I will soon stop being an active contributor to the GpsMid project. It's been a good opportunity to learn about Android, java, J2MEPolish, free software, social interactions among other things. Thanks to every contributor for all the bug reports, feature requests, feedback, patches and other contributions, and hope to see you all later in the great world of free (as in liberty) software!

Jyrki

GpsMid 0.8.2
        *** Map Display ***
        - some support for on-the web raster map form; if a valid raster map url
          is configured and raster background map option is on, the raster map
          is shown as background to the normal vector map. Options for switching
          areas & buildings off if background raster map is shown.
          The map format is known also as TMS; although in strict terms it's not
          TMS, as tile numbering in the de facto standard tile servers is different
          than what's specified in TMS.
          There's some simple in-memory caching for J2ME and file caching to sdcard
          on Android (no file cache for J2ME yet).
        *** OSM Editing ***
        - possibility to open area for editing OSM data in web browser, default editor is
          currently Potlatch in openstreetmap.org
        *** Barrier support off by default***
        - Removing route connections because of barriers is disabled by default for now,
          as in some regions too many POIs becoming unreachable because of barriers before the
          destination way. Barrier support can be switchen on with the .properties option useBarriers.
        *** Android Support ***
        - back key to exit from camera preview no longer crashes GpsMid
        - unintentional back key exit prevented also in OSM Poi entry and maybe other places
        - camera rotation should now be correct

• bedesign2004
    bedesign2004
    2012-09-09

Thank you Jyrki for your engaged and inspired work
    Still hope there can be some possibility for your
    assistance with just eventual polishing of
    this version - (if some issues would appear)
    as I'm famous for breaking software by just using it :)

Best wishes
    Bror

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-09-09

Yes, probably can/will do something if needed, I added this to my place in the developers' page in the wiki:

Update: 2012-09-09: Will stop being an active (code) contributor to the GpsMid project, so below is for historical reference; available for possible transitional/maintenance/ etc. purposes but might not be actively following tickets & forms, email to jkpj@users.sourceforge.net should work.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/gpsmid/index.php?title=DeveloperInfo

• Jyrki Kuoppala
    Jyrki Kuoppala
    2012-09-10

The J2ME (java ME) files are now signed.